Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Making Cake Without Making a Mess

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

Making a cake is delicious and fun. Probably the best part of making the cake is, of course, the eating part. Everyone loves cake, be it vanilla, chocolate, carrot or red velvet - but I'd be willing to bet that no one loves the mess that comes with making a cake.

Parchment paper to the rescue!

This versatile kitchen staple can be used for many things when making a cake. Set your pan on top of the paper and trace around it, Cut the shape out. Grease your cake pan and then place the paper inside the pan. After you bake the cake, allow it to sit on the cooling rack for five minutes, and then tip the cake over onto the rack. The cake will slide right out, and you can peel the paper off - there will be no sticking, no crumbs, and very little mess.

Wat to frost that cake but worried about making a mess? When the cake is cool, stack the lower layer onto the cake plate. Slide strips of parchment paper under the edges of the cake, and proceed to frost as usual. When you've completed the decorating, slip the paper out from under the cake - your cake plate will be pristine and frosting free.

There's yet another use for parchment paper when it comes to decorating cakes. If you'd like to create fantastic designs but you can't seem to find your decorating bag, parchment paper can rescue you. Take a piece of the parchment paper and roll it into a cone, making the bottom of it narrow enough to hold your coupler and tip. Make sure you remember to put a strip of tape along the seam! Screw the coupler together, fill the cone with frosting, and twist the top. You have an instant decorating bag, and the bonus of not needing to clean a bag means that I've virtually stopped using the real thing.

Do you make cakes for your family? Has parchment paper ever come to your rescue in the kitchen?

ŠiStockphoto.com/sf_foodphoto

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:27 AM
These are great tips. I have not used parchment paper but will keep this in mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Yes, We like parchment paper thanks

daerca574
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I usually just make cakes in a 9x13 pan.  I have used parchment paper for layered cakes before.

mommaslilmen
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM
I've used parchment paper a few times, mostly for cookies. The new foil on one side and paper on the other is nice for my lasagna too. Can't think of ever using it for cake
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yzaguirre1986
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Awesome tips! I've only use parchment paper for the bottom of the cake stand so i won't get frosting all over it! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I bake often and use parchment paper regularly.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Parchment paper works well for cookies.

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I do make cakes for the family. Have never used parchment paper for it though. I usually put it on a plate to finish cooling so I can put it in the fridge and move it around when it is done

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Quoting Bmat:

Parchment paper works well for cookies.

I do use it for cookies to cool

kellynh
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Great ides!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN