Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Making Cake Without Making a Mess

Posted by   + Show Post

Making a cake is delicious and fun. Probably the best part of making the cake is, of course, the eating part. Everyone loves cake, be it vanilla, chocolate, carrot or red velvet - but I'd be willing to bet that no one loves the mess that comes with making a cake.

Parchment paper to the rescue!

This versatile kitchen staple can be used for many things when making a cake. Set your pan on top of the paper and trace around it, Cut the shape out. Grease your cake pan and then place the paper inside the pan. After you bake the cake, allow it to sit on the cooling rack for five minutes, and then tip the cake over onto the rack. The cake will slide right out, and you can peel the paper off - there will be no sticking, no crumbs, and very little mess.

Wat to frost that cake but worried about making a mess? When the cake is cool, stack the lower layer onto the cake plate. Slide strips of parchment paper under the edges of the cake, and proceed to frost as usual. When you've completed the decorating, slip the paper out from under the cake - your cake plate will be pristine and frosting free.

There's yet another use for parchment paper when it comes to decorating cakes. If you'd like to create fantastic designs but you can't seem to find your decorating bag, parchment paper can rescue you. Take a piece of the parchment paper and roll it into a cone, making the bottom of it narrow enough to hold your coupler and tip. Make sure you remember to put a strip of tape along the seam! Screw the coupler together, fill the cone with frosting, and twist the top. You have an instant decorating bag, and the bonus of not needing to clean a bag means that I've virtually stopped using the real thing.

Do you make cakes for your family? Has parchment paper ever come to your rescue in the kitchen?

ŠiStockphoto.com/sf_foodphoto

by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I've never tried parchment paper, but I want to pick some up.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Thanks!!

Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Parchment paper is a necessity
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liveforever
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I make cakes allll the time. Ive used the trick to put pieces under the cake to keep the plate clean.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

very good tips. I dont use parchment paper as much as I probably should. I think I will start using it more often.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

My DH is always randomly baking cakes. I dont think we have used parchment paper before but thank you for the ideas.

sukainah
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for the tips.  I have used parchment paper on a few occassions but I don't make a lot of cakes for the family.

aneela
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

i am not good at baking...i know my limits ha ha

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

great tips. I will try them when i make my sons cake in 3 weeks!

tayanddyl
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I make cakes at least once a week.  I've been using parchment paper for years.  I also sprinkle a little sugar on the paper before placing the cake onto it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement