Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Desperately seeking dinner suggestions for a picky eater....

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi ladies!

I'm new here and I'll admit that I'm stuck in a rut! I keep making the same dishes over and over again. I'd really appreciate your suggestions for some quick and easy dinner dishes. One note though, my hubby isn't much of a vegetable eater other than salad and corn. It's so hard to feed him! He's latin so he loves anything southwest or mexican style.

So, knowing that, I'd love it if you'd share some of your 'Go To' dinner recipes with me.

Thanks!

Adrianne

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Spaghetti with salad on the side

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Chicken cheese and lettuce wraps.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Mix ground turkey with taco seasoning and bake inside a biscuit crust.  Top with cheddar, tomatos and sour cream

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Tacos are always a hit for me!

adrianne7291
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions, Emily!

Mayalu
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:29 AM

fajitas, one of my favorites and onions and peppers r good for u!

adrianne7291
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mayalu:

fajitas, one of my favorites and onions and peppers r good for u!

Mmmmmm, fajitas! I'd never even considered making those at home. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Heres one of our faves

Chicken Tamale Pie
4.9 from 50 reviews
Print
Author: Pinch of Yum, adapted from Cooking Light
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup fat free milk
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8.5 ounce) box corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
  • 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce – I recommend going with an authentic Mexican brand
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
  • 3/4 cup shredded white cheese (I used Raclette – random, I know, but it’s what I had on hand, and it ended up being delicious!)
  • cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese for topping
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Combine the first 7 ingredients (milk through green chiles), using just 1/2 tablespoon of the taco seasoning, in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a round pie plate (mine was glass) coated with cooking spray.
  3. Bake at 400° for 20-30 minutes. While corn is baking, toss the chicken in the remaining 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. When corn is done – it will be just barely set and golden brown – pierce entire surface liberally with a fork (it might stick a little bit to the fork). Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with cilantro and Cotija cheese.
KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Ingredients

4 skinless chicken breasts (10-12 ounces each)
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
2 ounces cream cheese, softened (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
1 small clove garlic
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Instructions

1. Pat the chicken breasts dry. Using a paring knife and starting at the center edge of one of the breasts, cut a slit into the breast leaving a 1 inch border around all sides. You will be stuffing the filling into this slit.
  2. Mix the cheeses, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper together until uniform. Reserve 1/4 cup of the filling. Divide the remaining filling into slit in each of the chicken breasts. Use toothpicks to cinch each of the slits closed.
  3. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Place the chicken breasts in the pan without crowding. Cook without disturbing until browned on the bottoms, about 3-5 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts and cook, covered, until a thermometer registers 160 to 165 in the middle of the meat, about 5-10 more minutes. Just before removing the chicken from the pan, remove the pan from the heat and spoon 1 tablespoon of filling over each breast. Cover and let rest for one to two minutes, or until filling is melted over the chicken breasts.
  4. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement