The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

How to Make Breakfast a Priority on a Busy Morning

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

School has started. The first, exciting, days have passed, and the bloom is off the rose. No one wakes up early, no one bounces out of bed, ready to greet the day with a smile, delighted to get to school. Instead, your mornings probably look more like mine - begging people to get up, threatening and scolding and wondering how in the world you might be able to motivate those kids to get out of bed, already.

A good breakfast would do it. A delicious, hot and filling breakfast would be enough to get them to the table, you think. After all, if someone made a warm and yummy breakfast for you, it'd be enough to power you to the table, no matter the hour. There's just one obstacle standing in your way - how can you find the time to make a yummy breakfast so early in the morning, when you might be barely awake yourself?

Prepare ahead of time. The afternoon before, the weekend - find a time that works for you and prepare your way to a hassle free weekday breakfast. Prep fruit - wash, slice and create fruit cups from assorted fruits that your children like. Separate a large tub of yogurt into smaller cups. Make an assortment of muffins in paper liners and bag them up. In the morning, pop a muffin into the microwave, wrapped in a paper towel, and reheat briefly.  The kids can grab a muffin and a smoothie and be out of the house in seconds - especially handy for the high schoolers who have a tendency to sleep until the very last minute.

I ran into a problem with my make ahead muffin strategy this weekend, though, and thought I'd share it with you. I made a large amount of batter, in order to make fruit muffins - I'd portion it out into the muffin cups and add either diced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or diced peaches into each cup. I had also made my signature cheddar-sausage batter. My problem surfaced when I was ready to begin the third pan - I had run out of paper muffin liners. Using fruit in a muffin sometimes means that the muffin will stick to an unlined pan, and I didn't want to stop my muffin assembly line. So I looked around the kitchen for something to line my pans with, and I spotted my trusty parchment paper. I cut circles of paper, placed them over the muffin cups, and poured the batter in. When I did so, the edges of the paper folded up and the cup was beautifully lined.

After baking, I flipped the muffins out, and realized that the extra paper was perfect to completely cover the muffin - thereby wrapping it against the air and ensuring freshness. It was the perfect aha! moment and allowed me to see that running out of muffin cup papers didn't mean that I wasn't able to create a great breakfast for the family.

What are your favorite types of muffins to serve for breakfast - or any time of the day?

ŠiStockphoto.com/chrisgramly

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Pumpkin, apple spice, coffeecake, lemon, blueberry, orange, peach, and more!  We eat grain-free, so I have to make all of our muffins myself.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:53 AM

pumpkin spice muffins is everyone's favorite here. And the only ones I make.

mallowcup17
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

we love banana muffins...and chocolate chip too

momkaribg
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Blueberry

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:08 AM

We love banana nut muffins.

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM

We make chocolate chip muffins most of the time. We eat breakfast every day

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM

lemon poppy

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

chocolate chip is a favorite also.

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Pumpkin, apple spice, coffeecake, lemon, blueberry, orange, peach, and more!  We eat grain-free, so I have to make all of our muffins myself.

We love pumpkin. I also add some chocolate chips to the batter.

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting alliesmom112:

We love banana nut muffins.

Yummy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)