Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

How to Make Breakfast a Priority on a Busy Morning

Posted by   + Show Post

School has started. The first, exciting, days have passed, and the bloom is off the rose. No one wakes up early, no one bounces out of bed, ready to greet the day with a smile, delighted to get to school. Instead, your mornings probably look more like mine - begging people to get up, threatening and scolding and wondering how in the world you might be able to motivate those kids to get out of bed, already.

A good breakfast would do it. A delicious, hot and filling breakfast would be enough to get them to the table, you think. After all, if someone made a warm and yummy breakfast for you, it'd be enough to power you to the table, no matter the hour. There's just one obstacle standing in your way - how can you find the time to make a yummy breakfast so early in the morning, when you might be barely awake yourself?

Prepare ahead of time. The afternoon before, the weekend - find a time that works for you and prepare your way to a hassle free weekday breakfast. Prep fruit - wash, slice and create fruit cups from assorted fruits that your children like. Separate a large tub of yogurt into smaller cups. Make an assortment of muffins in paper liners and bag them up. In the morning, pop a muffin into the microwave, wrapped in a paper towel, and reheat briefly.  The kids can grab a muffin and a smoothie and be out of the house in seconds - especially handy for the high schoolers who have a tendency to sleep until the very last minute.

I ran into a problem with my make ahead muffin strategy this weekend, though, and thought I'd share it with you. I made a large amount of batter, in order to make fruit muffins - I'd portion it out into the muffin cups and add either diced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or diced peaches into each cup. I had also made my signature cheddar-sausage batter. My problem surfaced when I was ready to begin the third pan - I had run out of paper muffin liners. Using fruit in a muffin sometimes means that the muffin will stick to an unlined pan, and I didn't want to stop my muffin assembly line. So I looked around the kitchen for something to line my pans with, and I spotted my trusty parchment paper. I cut circles of paper, placed them over the muffin cups, and poured the batter in. When I did so, the edges of the paper folded up and the cup was beautifully lined.

After baking, I flipped the muffins out, and realized that the extra paper was perfect to completely cover the muffin - thereby wrapping it against the air and ensuring freshness. It was the perfect aha! moment and allowed me to see that running out of muffin cup papers didn't mean that I wasn't able to create a great breakfast for the family.

What are your favorite types of muffins to serve for breakfast - or any time of the day?

ŠiStockphoto.com/chrisgramly

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Great Post.  Breakfast is always hard for us.  We like every kind of muffin.  We usually will do blueberry or mix blueberry and strawberry.

Rushn311
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

My son loves blueberry muffins, the rest of us like chocolate chip muffins. Otis Spunkmeyer is the brand we get. YUMMY!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM
I like all kinds of muffins, but we don't have them often.
LOswald0314
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Pumpkin muffins from a weight watchers recipe.  It's just a can of pumpkin, a box of spice cake mix, and a tiny splash of water.  Sometimes I add chocolate chips or cream cheese.

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM

We don't ever make muffins. My favorite is blueberry muffins though! :)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

We love chocolate chip muffins =)

Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I love any and all muffins!  Especially Blueberry, Orange Blossom, Chocolate Chip, etc...

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Chocolate chip, blueberry, banana. I love muffins, but we don't have them for breakfast often.
saraface5383
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Blueberry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Blueberry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN