Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Back to School Lunch Tips Part 1

Posted by   + Show Post

When I was a kid, my mom used to pack my lunch sandwich in tin foil. I always wondered why as I saw all the other kids with plastic sandwich bags. Now that I'm a mom, I understand. And, I've added one other twist that keeps the sandwich moist.

Tin foil keeps a sandwich's shape. It makes it harder for the sandwich to become squished by other foods in the lunch box. It also keeps the sandwich cooler for longer - which is a plus if you have a child who likes cold cuts and mayo. Before I wrap my child's sandwich in tin foil, I wrap the sandwich in a napkin first. It keeps the sandwich bread moist and also provides a built in napkin for clean up after the meal.

Wrapping in tinfoil also provides a slick surface for adding stickers or a quick note in waterproof marker.

Moms, what are your lunch packing secrets?

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I use tinfoil to wrap up burritos in for him to take to school.  He also then spreads the foil out so he can use it as a plate. 

That is a great idea.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Ooh! Great post! My kindergartener is going to need lunches packed next year, so I'm reading all these tips.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

mamivon2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM

my kids eat at school...but when I do pack their lunch I pack child size food..

Rushn311
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I put my daughter's sandwich in a plastic sandwich holder...no foil to waste or baggies.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Quoting goddess99:

I use a reusable plastic container for sandwiches (Tupperware).

I use them for Dh's lunch also. In fact, I use a lot of Tupperware for his lunch. I love the microwave bowls

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

TIPTONTNSAHM
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:20 AM

My kids like the bread toasted in the morning then we pack it in a ziplock bag. We put peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the bread. Then a banana on the side. But my son likes the bread toasted and put in a bag with out anything then at lunch he puts everything on. I have to put pickles and lunchmeat in a bag. I wish they would have more lunches my kids like at school they only like one school lunch per week. I'm starting to think it takes more effort for me to make lunch but it's cheaper. They raised lunch prizes here again.

eustacejessica
by Jess on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I haven't had to pack lunches yet so hopefully I'll remember these tips when that time comes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement