The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Back to School Lunch Tips Part 2

Posted by   + Show Post

Packing school lunches can become tiresome, and often times we have to fight to get creative so that our children will actually eat what we pack. I remember fondly the surprise of receiving a special treat in my lunchbox as a child. Perhaps you have a similar memory of opening up your box and finding a tin foil wrapped ding-dong? You knew what it was just by the hockey puck shape, but it wasn't real until you opened it and took your first bite. 

The same thing is happening today with my child, only with his juice boxes. I wrap them up tight in tinfoil, and you can clearly see the rectangular shape. He knows what it is, but he isn't sure of the flavor (apple, grape, fruit punch), until he opens it. Wrapping the drink in tin foil also has an added benefit. It keeps the drinks cooler longer, which is a plus on hot fall afternoons.

Moms, how do you keep school lunches interesting?

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
sukainah
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

My son eats school lunch but last year I made him lunches.  I always gave him something as a surprise like pretzels in holiday shapes etc...

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Lol, that is a fun idea to keep things exciting! 

meglennox
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

it's the special snacks. like oatmeal cream pies :)

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Kids eat lunch at school but thanks for the tips!

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I try to put a surprise food in from time to time.  Very rarely I'll put some kind of special treat in.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Good tip with the juice boxes.
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM
I've been picking up ideas on pinterest and mommy blogs. My daughter buys lunch but I want her to take it sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I throw in unusual things(like dinner) to make it interesting... Like pastas and stuff. The first time i did pasta he came home saying how awesome it was lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Very cute idea.

Quoting Bmat:

This is a cute idea! The gummy tarantulas especially!

Quoting goddess99:

My dd's a little older so I really just pack what she'll eat. I do throw in snacks sometimes like gummi tarantulas or hershey ghosts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM

We haven't had it come up just yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)