Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Back to School Lunch Tips Part 2

Posted by   + Show Post

Packing school lunches can become tiresome, and often times we have to fight to get creative so that our children will actually eat what we pack. I remember fondly the surprise of receiving a special treat in my lunchbox as a child. Perhaps you have a similar memory of opening up your box and finding a tin foil wrapped ding-dong? You knew what it was just by the hockey puck shape, but it wasn't real until you opened it and took your first bite. 

The same thing is happening today with my child, only with his juice boxes. I wrap them up tight in tinfoil, and you can clearly see the rectangular shape. He knows what it is, but he isn't sure of the flavor (apple, grape, fruit punch), until he opens it. Wrapping the drink in tin foil also has an added benefit. It keeps the drinks cooler longer, which is a plus on hot fall afternoons.

Moms, how do you keep school lunches interesting?

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
copperswifey
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I let my daughter help pick out things she wants to eat and that helps her eat more at lunch time. She likes being involved in the process of picking out what goes into it. :)

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM

my son isn't in school yet

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Quoting sukainah:

My son eats school lunch but last year I made him lunches.  I always gave him something as a surprise like pretzels in holiday shapes etc...

I love the holiday shape pretzels, too bad my kiddo hates pretzels.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

What a cool idea! No lunches for me to pack until next year.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

mamivon2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM

they eat at school

Rushn311
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I give her different stuff all the time...her sandwiches are usually turkey, mayo and lettuce or sometimes peanut butter. I'll give her chicken nuggets or even leftovers. They microwave their food for them, so that helps alot.

She basically gets what she gets tho.

Kitten1025
by Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM
As for my dd she loves the roll up sandwiches tha I usually have flour tortilla with what she likes and then roll it up and cut it up to look like sushi but she loves it and it is very colorful too. I use the reusable sandwich container to reduce the waste. I will sometimes do different shape cut out sandwiches as well for some cheese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM

My kids have come home from school for lunch for years.  We don't qualify for free or reduced lunches anymore, and since the school yard shares a border with our back yard, the kids just pop home for lunch.  This way, I know they are getting something good, too.  Some days it's as simple as an omelet; other days tomato soup and grilled cheese, or a sandwich, or frozen pizza.  And, some days it can be as elaborate as roasted pork loin, potatoes and gravy, and a veggie.  Some days there are home baked breads, or a dessert.  Some days there's fruit, etc.  It depends on how much time I have, or how prepared I was.  (loading the crock pot at 3 am, for example.)  On days when I'm really critically short of time, I can make spaghetti carbonara in less than 30 minutes (I used to think that the Hormel pre-cooked bacon bits in a bag was the ultimate in lazy, but dang have I changed my tune!!  I think I"m on my 7th 2 lb bag.) 

sarahlynch
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Waffle peanut butter and home made jelly sandwiches.  Lots of yummy meats and cheese rolled up in crescent rolls.  Have everyone help make home made soups and white chilli. they love it.  funky toothpick people made of fruit.  Love making lunch, always looking for new ideas for the little ones and my husband I send out with lunch 6 days a week

TIPTONTNSAHM
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I got an idea of different lunches from Girlscouts. My daughter loves learning about girls her age all over the world. So I packed a bento box from Japan. She loved it. I even made fake sushi, with real fruit roll ups and fruit chews. I secretly wrapped up the fruit chews from one packet with the real roll ups from the health food store. I repacked half the pack for my daug and the other pack for my son. I put in a small thing of china noddles. I know her fave was the carrots with broccolli hair. I even packed a little tiny dipcup size of ranch. The whole point of a bento box is a little bit of everything, fruit,veggie and main course. it could be still a sandwich shaped like a bunny or flower or a soup. Just make sure you don't put too much. One time my daug had so much she had to finish it afterschool because it was too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement