Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

After School is Made for Snacking

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids come home from school completely ravenous. No matter how full the lunchbox is packed, it never seems to be enough. When the 3 p.m. bell rings and they fly out the door to me, the first words out of their mouth are always, "Did you bring anything to eat?" Never, "Hi, Mom, I missed you!" - just a request for sustenance.

I can appreciate that. I can remember many a long bus ride home, hoping that there'd be something amazing to eat when I got home. I remember being super envious of a friend who was a foreign exchange student from Germany - when he got home, his mother met him - every day! - with a fully set table of hot dishes. It was absolutely stunning.

I didn't know anyone whose mom made them a hot snack.

I try, as often as I can, to make sure that my own children have a snack that is high in protein when they stumble out of the school building. One of their favorites is commonly called "Pigs in a Blanket" - mini hotdogs wrapped in dough and baked. I recently decided to mix things up a little, and took ful size hot dogs and cut them into three equal pieces. I paired each section with a small piece of American cheese - I cut a square into thirds - and then wrapped the entire thing inside a flattened section of crescent roll dough.

The first pan I baked was a disaster. As the cheese melted, it leaked out of the roll and stuck to the pan, which meant that the crescent rolls were difficult to get off the pan. With the second batch, I wised up and lined the pan with parchment paper. Result? The rolls browned evenly and lifted off with no sticking issues whatsoever.

And my children were ecstatic when I met them at school with a hot, fresh snack. 

What was your favorite after school snack as a kid? What do you like to serve your own children?

©iStockphoto.com/StephanieFrey

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
meglennox
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

i love those as a snack idea. :)

as a kid my favorite snack was any kind of cookie my mom had made.

my boys are in preschool and pre-k so they only go half a day. when they get done with school, it's lunch time. lol

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

pizza sticks my Father used to buy from a meat truck in town

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM

now I have dinner done for DD at 3 o'clock if she is hungry later she can snack just we don't eat after 6 so we don't have stomach aches when it is bed time

elasmimi
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM

My problem is she snacks so much she doesn't want dinner. It is all healthy, though, so I don't worry too much. Fruit, cheese sticks, and milk are the staples.

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

i dont remember what i used to snack on but i just give my kids fruit, crackers or yogurt. sometimes cheese

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

my ds does this sometimes

Quoting elasmimi:

My problem is she snacks so much she doesn't want dinner. It is all healthy, though, so I don't worry too much. Fruit, cheese sticks, and milk are the staples.

mamivon2
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

My kids love strawberries and mangos.. and other fruits.. I used to love bread and chocolate

pandamom268
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

We don't do a lot of hot snacks around here because we live in Arizona and it's hot most of the time. Today is something like 109 degrees outside :/

We usually do what everyone else said, things like yogurt, fruit, trail mix etc. However, we have discovered one wonderful, healthy snack that no one has mentioned yet. Hummus! Yes, hummus and some pita bread are a healthy, easy and (for us) good for the wallet snack. We get it in bulk, powder form and mix it up as needed (only requires a little oil and cold water). Yummy!

sukainah
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Great idea.

I think we had graham crackers and milk, which I occasionally serve to my children as well.  They usually get apple slices or yogurt for a snack.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

My kids if they are hungry after school usually heat up mini deep dish pizzas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement