Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

After School is Made for Snacking

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids come home from school completely ravenous. No matter how full the lunchbox is packed, it never seems to be enough. When the 3 p.m. bell rings and they fly out the door to me, the first words out of their mouth are always, "Did you bring anything to eat?" Never, "Hi, Mom, I missed you!" - just a request for sustenance.

I can appreciate that. I can remember many a long bus ride home, hoping that there'd be something amazing to eat when I got home. I remember being super envious of a friend who was a foreign exchange student from Germany - when he got home, his mother met him - every day! - with a fully set table of hot dishes. It was absolutely stunning.

I didn't know anyone whose mom made them a hot snack.

I try, as often as I can, to make sure that my own children have a snack that is high in protein when they stumble out of the school building. One of their favorites is commonly called "Pigs in a Blanket" - mini hotdogs wrapped in dough and baked. I recently decided to mix things up a little, and took ful size hot dogs and cut them into three equal pieces. I paired each section with a small piece of American cheese - I cut a square into thirds - and then wrapped the entire thing inside a flattened section of crescent roll dough.

The first pan I baked was a disaster. As the cheese melted, it leaked out of the roll and stuck to the pan, which meant that the crescent rolls were difficult to get off the pan. With the second batch, I wised up and lined the pan with parchment paper. Result? The rolls browned evenly and lifted off with no sticking issues whatsoever.

And my children were ecstatic when I met them at school with a hot, fresh snack. 

What was your favorite after school snack as a kid? What do you like to serve your own children?

ŠiStockphoto.com/StephanieFrey

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-70):
HiDi
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM

A tie betwixt(smile) Duncan Hines chewy,gooey,delicious brownies,or,'never could get enough' of those Kellogg's Rice witchmoms rockKrispy&Marshmallow Snack Bars! A 'childhood' snack attack has commenced! Let my 'stomach sound the bugle-taps ' for hungry!!! A good Halloween season wrapped;in,the warmth of Fall season to all Moms/Mums members of Cafe Ole(smile) Moms!!!

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Cinnamon toast with a glass of milk or a cup of cocoa in cold weather. (I still love it. It's even better when cooked in a frying pan, or under the broiler so the sugar caramelizes. I feel like making some right now. Also a good blue cheese with apple slices. (Yes, I loved 'stinky' cheeses even as a child, as did my daughter!) And my grandmother would make me 'fried onion sandwiches' if she were frying onions for a roast or something for dinner. They were actually caramelized onions, fried in real butter, between 2 slices of bread, lightly salted. She knew how much I loved them so always made extra onions cos she knew if I smelled them when I walked into the house I would want them right away!

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I can't believe how many people didn't have/don't serve after school snacks. My mother or grandmother always had something tasty for us. I always had something for my daughter as well. It doesn't add a ton of extra calories as a child will eat more lightly at dinner if served an after school snack, so the daily calorie count remains almost the same. (Of course it doesn't work if you serve a lot of sweet foods or junk foods. We seldom got sweets, never ever 'junk food' or fast food. Ditto for my daughter.)

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Yum! I shouldn't be reading about food at this time of night. It's far too late to eat now, but my mouth is watering. It's going to be hard to get to sleep now.

Quoting saraface5383:

Quesadillas!

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I generally make hummus from scratch about 2X a month. It isn't that hard, and so much better. I usually cook garbanzo beans from dried, and use them in stews and soups, plus I roast some of them with a bit of olive oil and different herbs and spices for another healthy snack. (Except for the hummus and roasted garbanzos, the other dishes are for dinner. I usually cook at least 3 lbs. at once cos they freeze very well and go into a lot of different recipes. I also make homemade pitas and freeze a lot of those as well. Then I can quickly make my own pita chips, and I also stuff them with various fillings for lunches. (We love almost anything with a 'middle eastern' flavor profile!) Oh, and we live in AZ too!

Quoting pandamom268:

We don't do a lot of hot snacks around here because we live in Arizona and it's hot most of the time. Today is something like 109 degrees outside :/

We usually do what everyone else said, things like yogurt, fruit, trail mix etc. However, we have discovered one wonderful, healthy snack that no one has mentioned yet. Hummus! Yes, hummus and some pita bread are a healthy, easy and (for us) good for the wallet snack. We get it in bulk, powder form and mix it up as needed (only requires a little oil and cold water). Yummy!

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:39 AM

You don't have to be 'supermom' to do this as long as you're a SAHM! Just remember, 'keep it simple'. I save my 'best efforts' for dinners. (And, if your kids get snacks, they can wait a bit later for dinner!) Oh, and I think it's sad that nobody EVER made you after school snacks. When my mother worked, she would leave something in the fridge for us, or we would go to our grandmother's house sometimes (when my mother had to work 'swing shifts' (she was an RN) and my grandmother would give us our snacks and dinner too! Actually, both of my grandmothers were my inspiration to learn to cook and LOVE cooking. (And to always cook with love!)

Quoting rfhsure:

no one ever made me after school snacks when i was a kid. i just made myself a sandwich or ate a piece of fruit. When my kid's school age, I definitely plan on providing snacks for them, as long as I can be a stay at home mom anyway. there's lots of hot snacks that are easy to make. Tomato soup and grilled chee, tuna melts, quesadillas with some quacamole, taquitos. I'm sure we all want to be supermom before we realize how hard it is, but I can dream!

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM

ROTFL! We moved here to AZ from WA (Gig Harbor) for health reasons. I DO miss a lot of things about WA, but NOT the constant gray skies and rain. Yes, that's part of what makes it so beautiful, but it really depressed me. I have SADD, it makes it very hard to cope with the rainy weather. At any rate, everything is air conditioned here (one of the first things I learned was to bring a sweater with me when I went shopping, they keep the stores WAY too cold!) Oh, and most homes and apartments have swimming pools too, (which can be used for most of the year, especially if they're 'heated' after Nov.) It honestly doesn't take long to adjust to the weather. (I admit I would NEVER want to be homeless here in the summers! But, there are LOTS of homeless here. Some of them act like they're 'snowbirds', and others stay the entire year, but at least half of them came here from other states.) Oh, and hummus is wonderful on most raw veggies!

Quoting rfhsure:

good god, I would probably combust. I live in Seattle though, where we run and hide when the giant disc of light appears in the sky because we think it's an invasion of some kind. I actually love the weather here, I don't really care. We get real seasons, beautiful summers, snowy winters, rainy spring and falls.

As for the Hummus, it's the shit. i love hummus, I like to dip sweet peppers in it for a snack mmm

Quoting Leelee1008:

oh my gosh that is hot! I dont think I could live there LOL. Its 69 here in Delaware right now and this is perfect weather for me.

Quoting pandamom268:

We don't do a lot of hot snacks around here because we live in Arizona and it's hot most of the time. Today is something like 109 degrees outside :/

We usually do what everyone else said, things like yogurt, fruit, trail mix etc. However, we have discovered one wonderful, healthy snack that no one has mentioned yet. Hummus! Yes, hummus and some pita bread are a healthy, easy and (for us) good for the wallet snack. We get it in bulk, powder form and mix it up as needed (only requires a little oil and cold water). Yummy!

Carolina_D
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM

My mother would slice a hot dog a bit more than halfway through the long way, then stuff the slit with cheddar cheese, cut to fit, then wrap the entire thing in bacon and put it under the broiler, turning often, until the bacon was crisp and the cheese melted. But, she usually served it as a dinner dish, not a snack. Oh, and I didn't like it at all...LOL!

Quoting 3mom627:

My favorite snack was cookies. Those mini hot dogs sound really good My Mother makes them, but she has a hard time finding the mini hot dogs. She wraps hers in bacon they are good too. I will have to suggest she cut the hot dogs in thirds. My kids like any leftovers and/or frozen dinners.

MeAndTommyLee
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

PB&J....all the way!!!!

couturebaby
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM
I try to work a little protein into each snack - hummus with celery or carrots, apple with peanut butter or celery with peanut butter and raisins (ants on a log). My mom used to make the latter for us after school and we loved it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement