The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

After School is Made for Snacking

Posted by   + Show Post

My kids come home from school completely ravenous. No matter how full the lunchbox is packed, it never seems to be enough. When the 3 p.m. bell rings and they fly out the door to me, the first words out of their mouth are always, "Did you bring anything to eat?" Never, "Hi, Mom, I missed you!" - just a request for sustenance.

I can appreciate that. I can remember many a long bus ride home, hoping that there'd be something amazing to eat when I got home. I remember being super envious of a friend who was a foreign exchange student from Germany - when he got home, his mother met him - every day! - with a fully set table of hot dishes. It was absolutely stunning.

I didn't know anyone whose mom made them a hot snack.

I try, as often as I can, to make sure that my own children have a snack that is high in protein when they stumble out of the school building. One of their favorites is commonly called "Pigs in a Blanket" - mini hotdogs wrapped in dough and baked. I recently decided to mix things up a little, and took ful size hot dogs and cut them into three equal pieces. I paired each section with a small piece of American cheese - I cut a square into thirds - and then wrapped the entire thing inside a flattened section of crescent roll dough.

The first pan I baked was a disaster. As the cheese melted, it leaked out of the roll and stuck to the pan, which meant that the crescent rolls were difficult to get off the pan. With the second batch, I wised up and lined the pan with parchment paper. Result? The rolls browned evenly and lifted off with no sticking issues whatsoever.

And my children were ecstatic when I met them at school with a hot, fresh snack. 

What was your favorite after school snack as a kid? What do you like to serve your own children?

ŠiStockphoto.com/StephanieFrey

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (71-74):
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM

This was the same for me growing up.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

We didn't do after school snacks.  After school we came home and did our work and had supper.

Ankykeen
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM
My grandmother lived right beside me when I went to school.... so every day when I got off the bus I got to have a good homecooked meal. And I'm talking like country cooking lol like turnip greens, cornbread, porkchops, and butterbeans :) I love my Granny haha
raidersfan69
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thanks so much for the receipts ,  the advice and the delicious recipe; however, this is what I, feel every Mother has made for their child/children and I thank-you for as they become confused  as what to grab. the advice and the delicious recipe; however, this is what I, feel every Mother has made for their child/children and I thank-you for re-submitting this receipt to new mothers. We all need to be reminded of these simple items  to grab ,but not too many vearieties or another simple snack can just be , receips variety of cheeses and meat displayed properly ,such as celery with peanut butter or s delicious. nevermind, my grammer/lap-top is jumpping sentences. sorry

yassssin
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM

its asmart ideaangel mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)