Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Cooking with Kids can be Fun!

Posted by   + Show Post

I love to cook, love to bake - basically, anything that happens in the kitchen that ends with yummy foods is all fun to me (Dishes, no, not so much...) Cooking and baking are my down time, my "me time", the time that I use to decompress and get my head on straight. I've been somewhat reluctant to invite my kids in with me. My desire to be alone plus my overactive type A personality that just knows the right way to do these things means that I tend to get a trifle territorial. It's a struggle for me to share the kitchen, that's for certain.

But I remember my own mom letting each of us girls have free reign in the kitchen . Each Friday we took turns to prepare dinner from start to finish. It was a great lesson for us that food takes work, good food takes time and to always be appreciative when others cook for you. My mom let us plan our menus, and I'm certain she regretted allowing me to purchase "A Child's International Feast" when it meant that I served "Scandinavian Beans " - basically doctored kidney beans - for six weeks in a row.

My older children are less adept in the kitchen than I might like and I worry for them when they move out on their own. I foresee a lot of eating out and ramen in their future - but none of the older three are really interested in cooking or baking. My younger three, though, think it's fun to cook, and when my 12 year old son came to me with a recipe that he wanted to try, I took a deep breath and said "yes".

And so that's how we ended up dipping chicken legs into buttermilk and rolling them in crushed cornflakes and laying them on aluminum foil that had been sprayed with cooking spray. We put those coated chicken legs into a 450 degree oven and later enjoyed a wonderful easy and pretty darn tasty dinner.

Did you cook or bake as a child? What have you created in the kitchen with your children?

ŠiStockphoto.com/4774344sean

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I love getting my kids to help in the kitchen!

Me too ! I have been looking forward to doing more things with DS ! :)

CafeMom Tickers
sukainah
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I think I baked more as a child than I do now LOL.  But my son and I will get in the kitchen sometimes and make cookies or brownies and in the winter, snow ice cream.

Rushn311
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I remember helping my mom doing shapes in her rolled out dough for xmas. I would watch more than anything.

.Angelica.
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I don't but I really need to start letting my son help.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I did not and I tend to have the same attitude as you.  However my daughter loves to bake so I've been trying to loosen up and let her enjoy the kitchen with me.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I dont like letting my boys cook it scares the crap out of me. I let them use the microwave and thats about it.

KristinRox
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I used to make cakes and cupcakes at my friends house when I was a little girl. My mom wasnt as brave to let me around the stove. 

My kids have made cupcakes, and brownies, and cookies, and even christmas decorations. 

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I helped my mom bake as a kid but never really cooked until I had a foods class in high school.  I had a lot to learn when I got out on my own.  I try to let my kids help a lot more then I did so they don't have to learn so much when they leave home. 

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I did a lot of the cooking when I was younger. I was the oldest of a single mom. My hubby is a chef so our kids have been in the kitchen helping since they were old enough to stand on a stool. 

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I cook with my oldest pretty often.  She makes all kinds of everyday things with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement