The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Cooking with Kids can be Fun!

Posted by   + Show Post

I love to cook, love to bake - basically, anything that happens in the kitchen that ends with yummy foods is all fun to me (Dishes, no, not so much...) Cooking and baking are my down time, my "me time", the time that I use to decompress and get my head on straight. I've been somewhat reluctant to invite my kids in with me. My desire to be alone plus my overactive type A personality that just knows the right way to do these things means that I tend to get a trifle territorial. It's a struggle for me to share the kitchen, that's for certain.

But I remember my own mom letting each of us girls have free reign in the kitchen . Each Friday we took turns to prepare dinner from start to finish. It was a great lesson for us that food takes work, good food takes time and to always be appreciative when others cook for you. My mom let us plan our menus, and I'm certain she regretted allowing me to purchase "A Child's International Feast" when it meant that I served "Scandinavian Beans " - basically doctored kidney beans - for six weeks in a row.

My older children are less adept in the kitchen than I might like and I worry for them when they move out on their own. I foresee a lot of eating out and ramen in their future - but none of the older three are really interested in cooking or baking. My younger three, though, think it's fun to cook, and when my 12 year old son came to me with a recipe that he wanted to try, I took a deep breath and said "yes".

And so that's how we ended up dipping chicken legs into buttermilk and rolling them in crushed cornflakes and laying them on aluminum foil that had been sprayed with cooking spray. We put those coated chicken legs into a 450 degree oven and later enjoyed a wonderful easy and pretty darn tasty dinner.

Did you cook or bake as a child? What have you created in the kitchen with your children?

ŠiStockphoto.com/4774344sean

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

pancakes,  applesauce

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM
I remember baking with my mom and grandmother as a child. My dd like to help with the baking too.
copperswifey
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Yes I did. My kids are still young, so they just basically stir and pour. We do cookies and desserts together. The help with french toast and pancakes. They do love making the marks on peanut butter cookies with the forks.  :)

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I didn't when I was a kid and so far the only thing my dd likes doing is baking pumpkin spice cake with me.

kimberly161
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I don't remember cooking in the kitchen with my mom at all. I'm not sure if that was due to a lack of interest on my part or her not wanting to tutor me. I learned everything I know now through trial and error. My kids prefer to bake. I think they enjoy it most because it's a sweet reward. Cooking dinner is harder for the smaller kids because of the cutting, hot stove etc... I am also less inclined to let them help because I like to just do it myself. I know that's  doing them a disservice though, so here's to making a positive change  : )

saraface5383
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I always got to help with my grandmother, my boys help me with dinner mostly, or making their sandwiches for lunch.

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I didnt as a child and never enjoyed cooking or baking, my dh enjoys it more than I do. He and dd cook and ake together. It's really sweet watching them bod while baking.
LovesFredric
by Amanda on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM
My kids love to help measure, pour, stir, and use the hand mixer. I try to let them help when applicable. We often do cookies or pancakes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting saraface5383:

I always got to help with my grandmother, my boys help me with dinner mostly, or making their sandwiches for lunch.

My kids do make their lunches for school sometimes

othermom
by Danelle on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Quoting LovesFredric:

My kids love to help measure, pour, stir, and use the hand mixer. I try to let them help when applicable. We often do cookies or pancakes

Thats what my kids love to do too> I am just getting my almost 3 year old started. My older daughter who is almost 7 loves to help too. My 9 yearold son is a little less willing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)