Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

We've all been there. There's a huge sale on meats or fish at the market and we over buy. Rather than let it go bad, we freeze it. But, what is the best way to freeze so that you buy pass the ick factor of freezer burn or the possibility of your food going bad? The key is a mix of heavy-duty tinfoil and freezer bags.

As soon as I get home from the store, I divide my meat into portion sizes. Then, I put aside the meat that I know I will use during the week and freeze the rest. I wrap the portions into the heavy-duty tinfoil and then place each into freezer bags. On the bag, I write the date and the type of food so when I pull it out later on there will be no surprises.

Moms, how do you make sure your frozen foods stay fresh?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM

We really only buy what we plan to eat in the next week or 2 so our freezer is constantly changing, nothing just sits.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM

freezer containers. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I use freezer bags.
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

We don't do much freezing.

elasmimi
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I have not done the dividing part, my butcher packages my meat in the sizes I need, then I put it securely in freezer bags. I haven't had much trouble with freezer burn, but I think I will try wrapping it in foil first.

sukainah
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I usually divide it up into portions as well, then freeze it.  We usually use it soon enough that it won't go bad, but every now and then we'll have some frozen chicken get freezer burn.

slw123
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

That is exactly how I do it too.

Babujai
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I use reusable Gladware containers for my hamburger.  The small ones that deli meat comes in holds a pound of hamburger nicely.  For other meats, I like freezer paper.  I can write directly on it what meat is inside, the weight and the date.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

timon95
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I use either freezer bags or wrap it up really good!

meglennox
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

well, before now, i'd just portion out the meat and stick them into freezer bags.  i always forget to put the dates on them.  but then our meat doesn't really stay in the freezer very long.  i think i'll start using the foil as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement