Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Acorn Squash with Ground Turkey and Black Beans

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

I remember looking at the first acorn squash from our garden. I had never eaten one (I know, sad), and I wasn't sure how to go about making one taste yummy. I know that these are packed full of vitamins and great for a healthy meal, but how was I supposed to turn one into tonight's dinner.

Luckily a friend gave me a great suggestion and it was so simple, I could barely believe it.

Acorn squash are naturally sweet and tender, so not much needs to be done. Wash the outside, and then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Line a baking dish with tin foil and place the two halves into the greased dish. Put a dollop of butter into the center or each and sprinkle liberally with either brown sugar or cumin. Choosing will be easy depending on your taste for either sweet or spicy. I used cumin in mine and once it was baked at 425 until tender, I added a mixture of ground turkey and black beans. I cannot express how tasty these were! The acorns acted as little bowls for the meat and beans and the clean up was easy.

Moms, what foods have challenged you in the kitchen?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Threes.Company
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM

What foods have challenged me??  How about ALL foods?!  LOL!  I am very cooking-challenged.  I struggle in the kitchen!

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Some doughs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Ummm,  I love winter squash!  Thank you for the recipe!  I guess that pattypan squash is a challenge.

natesmom1228
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I would say squash because I just recently started cooking and eating it so I have to figure out new things to do with it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM

We LOVE acorn squash filled with cooked pork sausage and cinnamon-sprinkled sauteed apples.

Fish is my challenge.  It's hard to find a good variety of recipes where the fish can be tasted but isn't overwhelming.

Otherwise I'm very comfortable in the kitchen with just about any food/spice.

sukainah
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Yummy, I never thought about putting meat and beans in it.

sukainah
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

lol I am very "cooking-challenged" as well.

Quoting Threes.Company:

What foods have challenged me??  How about ALL foods?!  LOL!  I am very cooking-challenged.  I struggle in the kitchen!

timon95
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM
None! If it is going to be a challenge, i don't buy it...dh and the kids most likely will not eat it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I love acorn squash. I need to get some

For me it is meat, I amnot comfortable with cooking meat. I always worry about it being done enough, but am getting better about it

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Me too!

Quoting Threes.Company:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN