The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Spaghetti Squash and Sweet Marinara

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems that more and more of my friends are going gluten free - and for good reason. At times wheat can be hard to digest, especially if you eat later in the night or have a sensitive stomach. Also, if you alternate fresher foods for carb heavy options, you have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight.

We recently had a small dinner gathering at our house with three friends who are gluten free. My specialty happens to be homemade marinara sauce. Clearly I could not serve pasta, so I decided to try using spaghetti squash in its place. The results were delicious.

If you are unfamiliar with the squash, cooking it is a breeze. Grease and line a cooking dish with tinfoil. Cut squash length-wise and scoop out seeds. Put a pad of butter into each and bake at 425 degrees until tender. Once done, use a fork to pull out the meat of the squash. You'll see that it comes out in strings, much like spaghetti strands.

Serve as you would any pasta and serve a helping of sauce over the squash. Serve with a nice side salad and you have yourself a meal.

Moms, what are your favorite gluten free meals?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-42):
JessesMama0304
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I just made some spaghetti squash with fresh basil and fresh parmeson and salt and pepper. YUMMMM

ethans_momma06
by Queen of Awesomeness on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I should pick some of this up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)