Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spaghetti Squash and Sweet Marinara

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems that more and more of my friends are going gluten free - and for good reason. At times wheat can be hard to digest, especially if you eat later in the night or have a sensitive stomach. Also, if you alternate fresher foods for carb heavy options, you have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight.

We recently had a small dinner gathering at our house with three friends who are gluten free. My specialty happens to be homemade marinara sauce. Clearly I could not serve pasta, so I decided to try using spaghetti squash in its place. The results were delicious.

If you are unfamiliar with the squash, cooking it is a breeze. Grease and line a cooking dish with tinfoil. Cut squash length-wise and scoop out seeds. Put a pad of butter into each and bake at 425 degrees until tender. Once done, use a fork to pull out the meat of the squash. You'll see that it comes out in strings, much like spaghetti strands.

Serve as you would any pasta and serve a helping of sauce over the squash. Serve with a nice side salad and you have yourself a meal.

Moms, what are your favorite gluten free meals?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Yum!

othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

We don't eat gluten free, but I have a friends whos little boy needs gluten free so these ideas are greatfor her

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I just had spaghetti squash last week. I served it with a touch of butter.  I don't know much about gluten free and am interested in learning more.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for all of the ideas!

Quoting michiganmom116:

We eat gluten-free and I love it!  Foods are so tasty instead of tasteless pasta, breads, or cereals.  I've used thinly shredded cabbage cooked in meaty spaghetti sauce and topped with cheese as a spaghetti meal.  I use zucchini in place of noodles in lasagna, or else skip the noodles altogether.  I use steamed cauliflowerets in place of macaroni in a pizza casserole and mac & cheese.  Mashed cauliflower makes a great base for a twice-baked non-potato casserole (add sour cream, chives, bacon, cheese).  Almond and/or coconut flours make delicious baked goods that are naturally gluten-free/low-carb/high-fiber/nutritious.

We just had a spaghetti squash casserole two nights ago:  spaghetti squash mixed with homemade spaghetti sauce, browned ground beef, sauteed carrots/celery/onion/garlic, and topped with cheddar and parmesan cheeses. 

aneela
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

never paid attention to gluten free but i wouldnt mind trying some meals like this

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Bmat:

Thank you for all of the ideas!

Quoting michiganmom116:

We eat gluten-free and I love it!  Foods are so tasty instead of tasteless pasta, breads, or cereals.  I've used thinly shredded cabbage cooked in meaty spaghetti sauce and topped with cheese as a spaghetti meal.  I use zucchini in place of noodles in lasagna, or else skip the noodles altogether.  I use steamed cauliflowerets in place of macaroni in a pizza casserole and mac & cheese.  Mashed cauliflower makes a great base for a twice-baked non-potato casserole (add sour cream, chives, bacon, cheese).  Almond and/or coconut flours make delicious baked goods that are naturally gluten-free/low-carb/high-fiber/nutritious.

We just had a spaghetti squash casserole two nights ago:  spaghetti squash mixed with homemade spaghetti sauce, browned ground beef, sauteed carrots/celery/onion/garlic, and topped with cheddar and parmesan cheeses. 

I have PLENTY of recipes!  Eating gluten-free isn't always about finding substitutes...sometimes it's just finding other foods to eat.  We eat a lot more veggies than we used to!

Rhonda

ceciliam
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I made spaghetti squash and I loved it but it made me so sick:(

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM
We arent gluten free, but I like spaghetti squash.
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Oh no! I wonder why?

Quoting ceciliam:

I made spaghetti squash and I loved it but it made me so sick:(

meglennox
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I dont have any gluten free recipes yet but i'm going to try this with the squash. It sounds very interrsting. I wonder if i can get hubby to eat it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN