Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spaghetti Squash and Sweet Marinara

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems that more and more of my friends are going gluten free - and for good reason. At times wheat can be hard to digest, especially if you eat later in the night or have a sensitive stomach. Also, if you alternate fresher foods for carb heavy options, you have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight.

We recently had a small dinner gathering at our house with three friends who are gluten free. My specialty happens to be homemade marinara sauce. Clearly I could not serve pasta, so I decided to try using spaghetti squash in its place. The results were delicious.

If you are unfamiliar with the squash, cooking it is a breeze. Grease and line a cooking dish with tinfoil. Cut squash length-wise and scoop out seeds. Put a pad of butter into each and bake at 425 degrees until tender. Once done, use a fork to pull out the meat of the squash. You'll see that it comes out in strings, much like spaghetti strands.

Serve as you would any pasta and serve a helping of sauce over the squash. Serve with a nice side salad and you have yourself a meal.

Moms, what are your favorite gluten free meals?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

that looks really good. I will def have to try it

Shelly126
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Quoting daerca574:

I have to say that Spaghetti squash is probably one of my favorite vegetables!  I love to make it with just butter and salt and pepper. 

Me too! I love using it as a healthier option, the same with most other vegetables, I love using them as a healthier option to pasta or potatoes. Although I am not gluten free, I do use whole grains and spelt when having bread and pasta, I also make sweet potatoes way more than regular potatoes. I make a nice meaty sauce and serve over spaghetti squash, so yummy! When I cook the squash I cut it open scoop the seeds drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper and bake till soft, this way the squash has seasoning too.
ethans_momma06
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM

We used to eat spaghettie squash all the time

JasonsMom2007
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

We are gluten free, sugar free, preservative/artificial ingredient free, free of most fruits, only use 2 oils (coconut and olive), and I'm a vegetarian.

One of my kid's favorite things to eat is spaghetti squash.  I cook it in the oven and then put it in the food processor with some stevia and cinnamon.  It tastes almost exactly like applesauce!

We do a lot of brown rice (we never eat white rice) and beans.  I made my own refried beans last night and they are so yummy!  We eat brown rice tortillas or brown rice pasta.  We sometimes make gluten free pizza with a sourdough crust.  We have our own gluten free sourdough starter :)  Sometimes we have just a salad.  We love veggie soups (in fact I think I might make one for dinner).  

We do occassionaly splurge with some sugar free, homemade peanut butter cups.  Yummy!  We only use raw cacaoa though instead of cocoa.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We are not gluten free.

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I like a nice fish  fillet, sauted in lemon & dill butter. With a fresh salad.

25 HAS been GOOD  to me!

Supervane
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I saw the pic of this on the banner and it looks so yummy! I wanna try it =)

eustacejessica
by Jess on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I don't cook gluten free but I have use spaghetti squash in a dish. Just spaghetti squash, zucchini, and marinara sauce with parm cheese on top.

JuliannaRenee
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I don't really pay too much attention to gluten. But as far as spaghetti squash... I like to bake it whole, mix in garlic, fresh parsley and some butter. It is the best way I have EVER had it. My mom agrees. Baking it whole takes a long time but it gives it the best texture and never makes it mush.
mommaTLC186
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I've never tried spaghetti squash ..... After reading this and how easy it is to make/use, I believe I will give it a try :) What kind of sauce is the best? just regular spaghetti sauce?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN