Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spaghetti Squash and Sweet Marinara

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems that more and more of my friends are going gluten free - and for good reason. At times wheat can be hard to digest, especially if you eat later in the night or have a sensitive stomach. Also, if you alternate fresher foods for carb heavy options, you have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight.

We recently had a small dinner gathering at our house with three friends who are gluten free. My specialty happens to be homemade marinara sauce. Clearly I could not serve pasta, so I decided to try using spaghetti squash in its place. The results were delicious.

If you are unfamiliar with the squash, cooking it is a breeze. Grease and line a cooking dish with tinfoil. Cut squash length-wise and scoop out seeds. Put a pad of butter into each and bake at 425 degrees until tender. Once done, use a fork to pull out the meat of the squash. You'll see that it comes out in strings, much like spaghetti strands.

Serve as you would any pasta and serve a helping of sauce over the squash. Serve with a nice side salad and you have yourself a meal.

Moms, what are your favorite gluten free meals?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM

that looks really good. I will def have to try it

by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Quoting daerca574:

I have to say that Spaghetti squash is probably one of my favorite vegetables!  I love to make it with just butter and salt and pepper. 

Me too! I love using it as a healthier option, the same with most other vegetables, I love using them as a healthier option to pasta or potatoes. Although I am not gluten free, I do use whole grains and spelt when having bread and pasta, I also make sweet potatoes way more than regular potatoes. I make a nice meaty sauce and serve over spaghetti squash, so yummy! When I cook the squash I cut it open scoop the seeds drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper and bake till soft, this way the squash has seasoning too.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM

We used to eat spaghettie squash all the time

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM

We are gluten free, sugar free, preservative/artificial ingredient free, free of most fruits, only use 2 oils (coconut and olive), and I'm a vegetarian.

One of my kid's favorite things to eat is spaghetti squash.  I cook it in the oven and then put it in the food processor with some stevia and cinnamon.  It tastes almost exactly like applesauce!

We do a lot of brown rice (we never eat white rice) and beans.  I made my own refried beans last night and they are so yummy!  We eat brown rice tortillas or brown rice pasta.  We sometimes make gluten free pizza with a sourdough crust.  We have our own gluten free sourdough starter :)  Sometimes we have just a salad.  We love veggie soups (in fact I think I might make one for dinner).  

We do occassionaly splurge with some sugar free, homemade peanut butter cups.  Yummy!  We only use raw cacaoa though instead of cocoa.

by Charlene on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We are not gluten free.

by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I like a nice fish  fillet, sauted in lemon & dill butter. With a fresh salad.

25 HAS been GOOD  to me!

by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I saw the pic of this on the banner and it looks so yummy! I wanna try it =)

by Jess on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I don't cook gluten free but I have use spaghetti squash in a dish. Just spaghetti squash, zucchini, and marinara sauce with parm cheese on top.

by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I don't really pay too much attention to gluten. But as far as spaghetti squash... I like to bake it whole, mix in garlic, fresh parsley and some butter. It is the best way I have EVER had it. My mom agrees. Baking it whole takes a long time but it gives it the best texture and never makes it mush.
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I've never tried spaghetti squash ..... After reading this and how easy it is to make/use, I believe I will give it a try :) What kind of sauce is the best? just regular spaghetti sauce?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN