Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Kitchen Disasters Can be a Good Thing

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

Saturday night I had planned t have several ladies over. We do a twice a year clothing swap, and while the clothes are being set up, we eat and talk. My contribution was supposed to be brownies. I have an absolutely delicious recipe that I make, and after I discovered this recipe - I'll never use a mix again. The recipe isn't my own, as I saw it online - but they are well known to be "Carmen's brownies". It's completely decadent, very fattening and completely not healthy.

They are so yummy.

You begin the recipe by melting 3 sticks of butter and mixing in 2 cups of cocoa powder. Let it cool. In a separate bowl, whisk 6 eggs and add two cups each of brown and white sugar. Mix well, pour in chocolate mixture and 2 T vanilla. (I typically use vanilla bean paste as I like the more intense flavor.) Stir in 2 cups flour and 1 t salt.

Or, forget that step.

Yes, when I was creating my yummy brownies, I became distracted and forgot to add the flour. I poured the batter into the greased 9x13 pan (you can use a larger pan if you like thinner brownies), stirred a vat of nuts into the mixture - at least it seems like a vat of nuts, my husband loves some brownie served along with the nuts. I popped the pan into the preheated 350 degree oven. I checked the brownies at 30 minutes, when my kitchen smelled absolutely amazing, and the brownies weren't done. I checked them again at 40 and 50 minutes, and saw that they were beginning to burn around the edges, but they looked grainy and were still doughy in the middle.

And that's when I realized I'd forgotten the flour. I removed the pan from the oven, grumbling all the while, only to realize that I'd forgotten to line the pan with parchment paper or foil. I always do this with brownies, as once they are cool you can just lift the entire block of goodness out. It makes slicing and serving a snap and clean up is virtually non existent.

If you forget the flour AND the parchment paper - well, just know that I had to leave that pan to soak for an awfully long time and it took a lot of elbow grease to clean it. I was super disappointed with myself, and made a vow to never forget either the flour OR the parchment paper.

Have you had a kitchen disaster? Were you able to save it, or was it a complete flop?

ŠiStockphoto.com/LauriPatterson

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Oh goodness!

Most of my flops are at dinner time and end of a pay check. I remember doing a lentil stew in the crockpot recently. It burnt in less time than the cook time and it was end of pay check so we had limited funds and pair that with a child with severe allergies. Oh yes, kitchen blunders are a HUGE issue for us.

I hope you still had fun at the clothing swap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM

I can't think of any off hand but I'm sure I did when I started cooking

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

My daughter did the exact same thing the other day.  Her brownies were smelling so good but they never finished cooking.  I felt so bad for her!  I've had many disasters!

othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I have had a few disastors I can't think of what they were though at the moment

othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Once when  was a kid my mom was making shepards pie. She cooked the hamburger about half way and then added it to the rest of the stuff for the shepards pie and she kept telling us that it would finish cooking in the over. Well of course the meat didn't

ethans_momma06
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

The oven got locked while I was cooking the Thanksgiving Turkey once. And wouldnt unlock. That'd be a flop, right?

Thankfully it was salvaged.

BellaLoca
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

oh my goodness...where do i begin! i severly burnt chicken, undercooked rice pilaf and macaroni and cheese ( both box meals!!) and so much more. and im never able to save my disasters. lol

salamandersmom
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

OMG.  I did something very much like that a long time ago.  Our family has a tradition of serving a "yule log" cake on Christmas eve.  The cake is kind of like sponge cake, and is baked in a jelly roll pan, then you turn it out, roll it up, and when cool, unroll and frost it, then roll back up. It's really yummy.  So, it was Christmas eve.  I made the cake.  Took it out of the oven, and it promptly collapsed.  Tried again.  And again, and again.  On the 4th try, I realized I'd forgotten the damn flour.  By then I was screaming swear words, frustrated beyond belief, and had wasted over 2 dozen eggs!!  And, that was the last time I made that damn cake. 

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Oh I am a terrible cook so almost everything I do in the kitchen is a pure disaster.

karone04
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:51 AM

My dad gave my brother some hot peppers to try. Somehow my brother got the idea to dry the peppers in the microwave. We had to open the windows and back door for a few hours in the middle of winter at night. That was not fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement