Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Sugar cookies?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM
  • 21 Replies

I'd like to make some Sugar cookies for my son's bday party, but last time I tried to make them I failed miserably.  I'd like to make some in cute Halloween shapes.  My last attempt ended when I started to use the cookie cutters and the dough fell apart.  

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

It's been a long time since I've made any.  You can also buy the precut decorated shapes at the store.   I don't know if you want to go that route.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Sorry I don't have a recipe, heres a bump!

kimberly161
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I use a great Betty Crocker recipe:

Mix the following until creamy: 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup softened butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp almond extract, and 1 egg. Then add 2 1/2 cups flour, 1tsp baking soda and 1tsp cream of tartar. Mix well then cover and refrigerate for at least 2hrs. Roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut. bake at 375 for 7 or 8 minutes.  Have fun

kimberly161
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

p.s I also have a favorite website for recipes. http://www.food.com/

ethans_momma06
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I havent made any for a while either! GL!

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I use my mother in laws recipe. Let me see if i can find it. 

LOVE_mygirls58
by Kayla on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

This recipe is GREAT when using complex cookie cutters.  The dough holds its' shape and won't spread during baking.  Make sure you let your oven preheat for at least 1/2 hour before baking these or any other cookies.

6 cups flour 
3 tsp. baking powder 
2 cups butter 
2 cups sugar 
2 eggs 
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself)
1 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture.  Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together. 

Chill for 1 to 2 hours (or see Hint below) 

Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes.  Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 
degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges.  This recipe 
can make up to 5-dozen 3" cookies.

HINT: Rolling Out Dough Without the Mess -- Rather than wait for your cookie dough to 
chill, take the freshly made dough and place a glob between two sheets of parchment paper.  
Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough and paper on a cookie sheet and pop it into the refrigerator.  Continue rolling out your dough between sheets of paper until you have used it all.  By the time you are finished, the first batch will be completely chilled and ready to cut.  Reroll leftover dough and repeat the process!  An added bonus is that you are not adding any additional flour to your cookies.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM

You can buy refrig. cookie dough

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I have never made them before. Good luck!

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Sounds like your dough was too dry. Try sifting your flour before measuring it, and spoon it carefully into cup and level with a knife. Try again, and have fun. I love sugar cookies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement