Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

No more garden

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am dissapointed. It has strated to freeze now and killed basically everything in my garden but the few carrots i have left. I am going to miss having fresh tomatos and peas till next year. My kids loved to eat them. Hopefully next year the tomatos come on and riden sooner so we have them longer. This year there were still tons that needed to ripen

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM
:( im sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Quoting proudmommy690:

:( im sorry

I knew it was going to happen sometime soon, but was hoping for even just another week. 

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Oh that's too bad, I love tomatos right out of the garden...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I'm so sorry!  We are "done" here too; got 6+ inches of snow yesterday.  BLAH.  It looks pretty, but the realities of winter just stink. 

Next  year, BEFORE a hard freeze, you can PICK all your green tomatoes.  Take them inside, and they will ripen.  Really.  My Mom used to line them up on the counters on newspaper until they did, then use like fresh. 

salamandersmom
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Oh, and to make your tomatoes ripen faster, you could put them in a POT, so they are raised above the regular soil level.  The "raised bed" method is what you are basically going for.  The soil warms faster this way.  The only downside is that you have to make sure they stay wet (get enough water) because they can't depend on moisture stored in the soil.  But the pay of is worh it. I did it this year, and got more tomatoes than I ever have.

babynurse454
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM
We got our first freeze last night! I was able to pick my last 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes. I have not picked our pumpkins yet, not sure when we will, dd has 5 very large pumpkins on the vine. Im going to start planning next years garden.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Quoting salamandersmom:

Oh, and to make your tomatoes ripen faster, you could put them in a POT, so they are raised above the regular soil level.  The "raised bed" method is what you are basically going for.  The soil warms faster this way.  The only downside is that you have to make sure they stay wet (get enough water) because they can't depend on moisture stored in the soil.  But the pay of is worh it. I did it this year, and got more tomatoes than I ever have.

I will have to try that. One of the reasons the tomatos got a late start this year is that we had a late freeze and I had to cut them back to almost nothing, but they came back. I had plans on getting new plants but never did. They grew huge and had tons of tomatos on them and we got a lot out of them. Next year I will be watching the weather closer and covering them if needed

othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting babynurse454:

We got our first freeze last night! I was able to pick my last 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes. I have not picked our pumpkins yet, not sure when we will, dd has 5 very large pumpkins on the vine. Im going to start planning next years garden.

I am starting to plan my garden for next year too. Parts of it are pretty easy to figure out. I need to prepare the new area that I will be planting next year for strawberrys. We ment to move our gate so I could make my self a bigger garden on the side of the house, but my husband hasn't done it yet

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Aww man..I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eustacejessica
by Jess on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

My grandma always hates it when her garden is done for the summer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement