Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

planning to get a second dishwasher...... do you think it is unnecessary?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM
  • 47 Replies
we have a big family and most of the time there are dishes/pots in the sink. we cook a lot and we got 5 kids ages 15-1 year old. I'm so tired. I don't know if having 2 dishwashers would help keep things in order.any inputs? pls?
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JudyAnnMomof4
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Sure if you need it.

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM
4 moms liked this
Why don't the older kids just help more? Have them wash the pots and pans by hand. You must have a lot of pots and pans to be able to fill up 2 dishwashers and not have to.wash one or two by hand to cook the next meal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I would make sure the older kids help as much as possible. Even my 6 and 9 year old help wash dishes. If you have the room for it, it might be worth it. You would still have to load and unload it

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I have 5 kids.  Two have moved out on their own now, but we always got by just fine with one dishwasher.  I'd put the glasses/cups, eating utensils, and all bowls/plates in the dishwasher and do everything else by hand.  It helped a LOT to have a sink full of sudsy water to wash as I prepared a meal, then when the meal was done we'd load the dishwasher and wash the pots/pans.  I know that it looks intimidating if you let it pile up, but following this method of washing mixing bowls/measuring spoons & cups as I prepared the meal, loading the dishwasher with what we actually ate with, then washing pots & pans after the meal is a very efficient and easy way to keep up with it.

We also have a dishwashing wand, one of those things you can put soap in the handle and it has a washing sponge on the end.  If I dirty something between meals, it takes no time at all to wash it up quickly.

proudmommy690
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM
this is what i was gonna say.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Why don't the older kids just help more? Have them wash the pots and pans by hand. You must have a lot of pots and pans to be able to fill up 2 dishwashers and not have to.wash one or two by hand to cook the next meal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I have 4 kids and believe it or not, I honestly think it's faster & easier to not even use the dishwasher.  I wash up breakfast & lunch dishes right after lunch.  My oldest son is responsible for after-dinner duty.  It works much better for us.

ethans_momma06
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I come from a famil of 5 kids.

We didn't have a dishwasher at all. Seriously.

However, not every family is the same. If you can afford the extra expense and forfiet the space, go for it.

LOVE_mygirls58
by Kayla on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I have never owned one lol I just do them by hand

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would suggest the kids help you out too. It won't be such a big job then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mudwrap
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

In an ideal world that would be best. The thing is that the two older kids are my stepkids. They do not really help around the house when they are at their mom's house.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN