Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A Pumpkin by Another Other Name

Posted by   + Show Post

During the month of October, it seems that you can't turn around without tripping over a "pumpkin" food. Pumpkin coffee, muffins, breads, soups and the like pepper the menus of many a restaurant and people appear to be sharply divided as to how to best enjoy this fall vegetable. Many feel that it only belongs pureed, sweetened and poured into a pie crust, while others enjoy it best in a latte (although I don't know how much pumpkin is actually in those spiced coffee drinks.)

Pumpkin is incredibly good for you, chock full of Vitamins A, C, K and E, as well as very high in fiber and low in calories. It's most often served in a pie, which means that it's mixed with plenty of sugar and often served with whipped cream - both of which defeat the purpose of all of those vitamins.

Why not try making pumpkin muffins for a delicious breakfast treat? Served with small cups of yogurt, it's a delicious and satisfying breakfast that just feels like fall. Another delicious breakfast choice is a pumpkin smoothie - freeze your pumpkin puree ahead of time. When you'd like to prepare the smoothie, pour 1.5 cups of milk and 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt. Blend. While the blender is still moving, drop in several spoonfuls of frozen puree and sweetener of your choice to taste. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.

One of my favorite ways to prepare pumpkin in the fall is pumpkin spice cookies. Mixed with cranberries or golden raisins, these cookies are a delicious after school treat. Don't forget the parchment paper when you are baking the cookies - the cranberries may leak and stick to the pan. The parchment paper makes clean up a snap!

What is your favorite way to enjoy pumpkin during the fall months?

ŠiStockphoto.com/Moncherie

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I love making butternut squash soup. I've never made pumpkin, though. I want to try it.

slightlyperfect

Godspitgrl
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Pumpin pie

Godspitgrl
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Pumpkin bread

chels2008
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

How do you make the muffins.  I am always trying to find fun snacks and meals that are low in points!  

KristinRox
by on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

We usually like a good pumpkin pie, or a pumpkin muffin. 

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM

pie

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

pumpkin pies, cakes, cheesecake, cookies, smoothies, bread. :)

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

pumpkin spice latte-=-)

eustacejessica
by Jess on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM

3 ingredient chocolate chip cookies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN