Yield: 8 Servings
Cost per Serving: $.98
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 small jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 13.5-oz. can light coconut milk, shaken
- 4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- In a pan, warm oil over medium-low heat. Sauté onion and ginger until soft, 8 minutes. Do not let brown. Add jalapeño and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in lime zest, pumpkin, coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt. Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then puree in a blender. Serve hot.
on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM