Yield: Serves 8
Cost per Serving: $1.94
- 2 lamb shanks, 14 to 16 oz. each, trimmed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Place shanks in slow cooker and add half of carrots, celery and onion. Pour in broth, cover and cook on low until tender, about 8 hours. Remove shanks to a platter, cover with foil and refrigerate. Strain liquid into a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight. When liquid has chilled, remove solid layer of fat that forms on top. Remove meat from shanks, discarding all fat and gristle. Cut lamb into small pieces.
- 2. Pour defatted liquid into a large pot. Add remaining carrots, celery and onion. Stir in lamb and barley. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until vegetables and barley are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired, and serve hot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
There are no replies to this post.