Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Whole wheat flour vs. All purpose flour?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

Can I just substitute one for one?  Or do I use more whole wheat flour?

Margaret

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sanj1213
by Juanita on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM
I've used both, but never both at the same time. I might try that.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM

It depends on what you're making.  Whole wheat doesn't absorb as well as all-purpose.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Im making pancakes, i just decided to use the regular flour

Quoting michiganmom116:

It depends on what you're making.  Whole wheat doesn't absorb as well as all-purpose.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM
I use the same, but I like oat flour better. If I don't have any I just grind up steel cut oats, it's really yummy for pancakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM
No idea never used whole wheat flour
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Are they different from rolled oats?

Quoting Schleetle:

I use the same, but I like oat flour better. If I don't have any I just grind up steel cut oats, it's really yummy for pancakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you can use rolled oats too if they aren't the instant minute kind, but I don't think you can use quick oats. I'm not sure though.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Quoting Schleetle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaybo
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

One for one, but whole wheat flour will make your pancakes or anything else denser & heavier. You can always do half whole wheat & half AP flour, but expect those to be on the heavier side as well.

If you're interested in experimenting with different flours, look for whole wheat pastry flour & white whole wheat flour. Whole wheat pastry flour can be found at most health food stores, and both flours can be found on the king arthur flour website.   

Jaybo
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Quoting Schleetle:

• Steel-cut oats are the whole oat kernel, which is cut into two or three pieces using steel discs. They are a better source of fiber than rolled oats, but take longer to cook.
  • Rolled oats have the bran mostly removed and are rolled flat to make them easier to cook. With the bran removed, they have less fiber than steel-cut oats.
  • Quick-cooking and instant oats are rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces and rolled thinner, thus cook quickly. They are an easy source for preparing many oatmeal dishes.

When comparing the different types of oats, the steel-cut oats are definitely less processed and have a higher nutrient content. However, when we make them it can take a LONG TIME (20 minutes or more).

Quick cooking oats are still considered a whole grain and have less fiber, but not by much. They are certainly more convenient and I would consider them very healthy. The ones you want to stay away from are the individual packets that contain sugar and other flavorings.

http://cancerdietitian.com/2008/11/quick-oats-steel-cut-oats-or-regular-oats-whats-the-difference.html 

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM
Thank you!

Quoting Jaybo:

One for one, but whole wheat flour will make your pancakes or anything else denser & heavier. You can always do half whole wheat & half AP flour, but expect those to be on the heavier side as well.

If you're interested in experimenting with different flours, look for whole wheat pastry flour & white whole wheat flour. Whole wheat pastry flour can be found at most health food stores, and both flours can be found on the king arthur flour website.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN