Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Whole wheat flour vs. All purpose flour?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can I just substitute one for one?  Or do I use more whole wheat flour?

Margaret

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Replies (11-18):
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM
Thanks again

Quoting Jaybo:

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Are they different from rolled oats?

Quoting Schleetle:

I use the same, but I like oat flour better. If I don't have any I just grind up steel cut oats, it's really yummy for pancakes.

• Steel-cut oats are the whole oat kernel, which is cut into two or three pieces using steel discs. They are a better source of fiber than rolled oats, but take longer to cook.

• Rolled oats have the bran mostly removed and are rolled flat to make them easier to cook. With the bran removed, they have less fiber than steel-cut oats.

• Quick-cooking and instant oats are rolled oats that have been cut into smaller pieces and rolled thinner, thus cook quickly. They are an easy source for preparing many oatmeal dishes.

When comparing the different types of oats, the steel-cut oats are definitely less processed and have a higher nutrient content. However, when we make them it can take a LONG TIME (20 minutes or more).

Quick cooking oats are still considered a whole grain and have less fiber, but not by much. They are certainly more convenient and I would consider them very healthy. The ones you want to stay away from are the individual packets that contain sugar and other flavorings.

http://cancerdietitian.com/2008/11/quick-oats-steel-cut-oats-or-regular-oats-whats-the-difference.html 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I am not sure.

othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I use the same amount of it or wll do half an half wen I have both

ethans_momma06
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

You can. You can even mix them (like half and half.)

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
You must try the new "white" whole wheat. Really, it is. Now available at Walmart, it's a flour made from an albino wheat, and lighter in taste and texture than regular whole wheat. I've substituted up to a cup of whole wheat for all purpose flour.
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Thanks, I will check this out!

Quoting suetoo:

You must try the new "white" whole wheat. Really, it is. Now available at Walmart, it's a flour made from an albino wheat, and lighter in taste and texture than regular whole wheat. I've substituted up to a cup of whole wheat for all purpose flour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting suetoo:

I'll have to check that out, it sounds interesting

paganbaby
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Bump!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement