Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

It's Called a Rehearsal for a Reason

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

As I write this, Thanksgiving (for US citizens, anyway) is in about 6 weeks. That seems like a long time away, but it will be here before you know it. I love to entertain, love to cook and bake for others, and Thanksgiving is my most favorite holiday ever - so I look forward to it all year. I have already started a menu, jotting down ideas and recipes as I see them. I typically serve a combination of tired and true favorites - corn pudding and carrot souffle are requested every year! - and at least two new recipes.

Yes, I said new recipes. After all, there's no better way to discover those *new* family favorites - but you won't know if you like them if you don't try them! There's nothing worse, though, than debuting a new recipe and realizing that it's not as awesome as you imagined. Maybe the spices are incorrect. Maybe, you might need to bake it longer than you are instructed. Maybe it's just no good.

And you will be embarrassed if you serve it for a crowd. How to work around this?

Dress rehearsal for your turkey day dinner, of course.

Typically, I pick out five new recipes that intrigue me - most often at least two of them are desserts, and at least one of those is a new pie. I try out one new recipe each week in the time leading up to Thanksgiving. This way, I know what recipes are keepers, which ones are flops, and what will work if I just add a bit more flavor. I make careful notes on each recipe, including modifications in cooking or baking time, as well as notes on what this recipe might best be served with.

This way, when Thanksgiving rolls around, I already know what I'm making, how it will taste and look, and I can just relax and enjoy my family. Here is one of my family's favorites - with my notes. Why not try it for yourself this weekend - you may very well find yourself adding it to your Thanksgiving menu!

CORN PUDDING

In a large mixing bowl, combine one can of creamed corn, one can of drained corn, 1 box jiffy corn muffin mix, 1 cup of sour cream and 1 stick of butter (melted). Combine well and pour into a flat casserole dish, and bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.

©iStockphoto.com/ArtisticCaptures

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM
We stick with the simple recipes. We do turkey, potatoes, veggie, rolls, cranberry sauce and gravy. Nothing fancy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM

We usually don't cook, we go to familys house

othermom
by Danelle on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM
My husband does make a good turkey though
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

We go to my grandparents for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

We too have the tried and true recipes.  I usually don't vary too much for Thanksgiving since I go out for that holiday.  Christmas I will usually add one or two dishes.  This year will be completely different for us since we have completely changed the way we eat.  Less sugar and butter in our recipes (although not completely eliminated.)  Healthier dessert choices like fresh fruit and home baked breads will also be on the menu.  This weekend my daughter and I will be practicing zucchini bread and banana bread!

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Everyone loves my turkey and I taught my sister in law how to make it.  Hers is better than mine now because she added her own touches! LOL!

Quoting othermom:

My husband does make a good turkey though

Margaret

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

We usually do the same recipes, but I too would like to try one or two new ones. I'm not sure I would like this corn pudding...as I have actually outgrown liking creamed corn...but I would give it a try.

sanj1213
by Juanita on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM
We go to my brothers house. He fries two turkeys!
Godspitgrl
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Never thought of that but of course I'm not the one that cooks Thanksgiving dinner

Willow.wind
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Good plan... I made a new recipe one thanksgiving & it was really spicy....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement