Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

How To Make Candy Bar Cookies

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
3 moms liked this

Halloween is a kids' dream. Dress up in your favorite costume, walk around your neighborhood and rake in the candy. There's no thank you notes to write, no cleaning up the house to get ready for company - oh, and did I mention all the CANDY?

In our house, we allow the kids to eat their candy for a few days, but after that, I don't like all of that candy laying around. It's bad for their teeth, it's bad for their tummies, and my kids tend to sneak off and eat it at the most inopportune times - like, say, right before dinner. So a few years ago I came up with a compromise -

Candy Bar Cookies.

On Halloween night, after they've trick or treated their last house, we dump all of the candy out onto the floor. We pull out the candies that no one wants - the Mary Janes, the tootsie rolls, the individually wrapped life savers - and we bag those up to go to work with Daddy or Nana. They can keep out a set amount of their favorite candies, usually about 20. The rest of the chocolate bars, and there are usually quite a few, are set to the side to make Candy Bar Cookies.

Make your favorite sugar cookie dough. Before you chill the dough, chop those candy bars into bite size pieces and stir them into the dough. This is a great job for your kids to do, by the way. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, preheat your oven and scoop the dough out onto parchment lined cookie sheets.

The parchment paper step is super important - the caramel and nougats tend to run and that makes the cookies stick, which means you'll spend a lot of time cleaning the pan - and not enjoying cookies.

After the cookies have completed the baking time, allow to sit for a minute or two, and then carefully lift them off the paper using your spatula. Allow to cool, and then enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Just don't forget to brush your teeth.

Candy Bar cookies are no better for you than just eating candy, It's just one way to get all of the candy that your kids bring in the house out just a little bit faster.

ŠiStockphoto.com/aluxum

by on Oct. 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

TFS

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Oh yum!

elasmimi
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Good idea, but we don't get much chocolate. Mostly Tootsie pops and Nerds, that type of thing. These sound good enough to buy candy just to make the cookies.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I make these, so yummy! 

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM

No candy here, but it does sound like a good idea.

othermom
by Danelle on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

The cookies sound tasty

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM

That is a great idea.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

thanks I liked the idea of the cookie bars I seen on food network and dipped in chocolate with cookie and candy toppings 

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM

sounds good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement