Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A New Way to Enjoy a Sweet Potato

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies
3 moms liked this

Fall food is good food. Soups, stews, apples, pumpkin and other squashes - the list goes on and on. One of my favorite fall foods to enjoy is sweet potatoes. High in Vitamin C and fiber, this nutritional superstar is a wonderful addition to your family menu. For many years, I only enjoyed them mixed with sugar and baked with a topping of marshmallows, but a few years ago, I branched out and experimented with different methods of preparation. I learned that they wee delicious baked and topped with butter and brown sugar, but I wanted to find a different way to serve them that wasn't quite so high in sugar.

Recently I was turned on to a new method of preparation that has leaped ahead to become a new family favorite. It's not a sweet preparation - it's more savory, but it's definitely sweet in terms of being a wonderfully different dish. It would make a terrific addition to your Thanksgiving dinner and it's completely unlike anything that your guests might be expecting.

Peel and dice four sweet potatoes into small pieces and place into a large mixing bowl. Pour a liberal amount of olive oil over the sweet potato dices and toss to mix. Add diced garlic (8-10 cloves, or the equivalent from a jar of minced garlic). Toss again. Pour onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper is KEY to this recipe - it allows the potatoes to crisp up and keeps the clean up almost non existent. Bake in a 450 degree over for 40-50 minutes, or until the chunks can be easily pierced with a fork.  While they are cooking, toss the sweet potatoes every 10 minutes to ensure even roasting. Remove the pan from the oven, and squeeze a lime half over the top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with kosher salt to your taste and serve.

What is your favorite fall vegetable preparation?

©iStockphoto.com/RobynMac

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:31 AM
2 moms liked this
This sounds Yummy! I like sweet.potato fries with sea salt and a pinch of cayenne
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sanj1213
by Juanita on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Looks yummy, sweet potatoes are one of my favorites during the holidays.
sanj1213
by Juanita on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM
I would like to try some squash, need a recipe for that one.
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I don't have a squash recipe but have you tried Zucchini chips?  They are yummy!

Quoting sanj1213:

I would like to try some squash, need a recipe for that one.

Margaret

sanj1213
by Juanita on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Quoting emilyrosenj:

Haven't had zucchini chips, but I love kale chips lol
ferne3
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

That sounds yummy!  I love all fall veggies roasted - carrots, parsnips, brussel sprouts, all potatoes, squashes - roasted.  Sometimes after they are done roasting I coat the sprouts and root veggies in a quick drizzle of a mixture of 3 TBSP balsalmic vinegar and 2 TBSP honey or maple syrup that I bring to a quick boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.  Toss with the roasted veggies.  But, my DH (who used to hate sprouts) and DD prefer simple - veggies tossed in olive oil, a little salt and pepper, sometimes garlic and then roasted until beautifully browned.  YUM!

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I have actually never had sweet potatoes. I might have to give them a try.

othermom
by Danelle on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Those look wonderful

Godspitgrl
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

looks good

Godspitgrl
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I love and miss green bean casserole

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN