Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

It's Cookie Season!

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies
3 moms liked this

Last night I went to my first holiday cookie/recipe exchange. It's early in the year to me for this type of party, but I went gladly, with an empty stomach and a full plate of cookies. Cherry White Chocolate Shortbread, to be precise.

Chocolate dipped cookies are a great holiday - or, let's face it, anytime  - type of cookie, but they can be exceptionally messy. These cookies were no exception. I'd mixed the butter and the sugar and flour, minced the maraschino cherries and mixed them into the dough along with almond extract and chopped white chocolate, and portioned the dough into balls. I'd flattened the balls with a sugar dipped glass and baked them. They'd come out of the oven, rested on the cookie sheet, and then moved them to the cooling rack. So far, so good. They cooled to the perfect temperature as I melted  the remaining white chocolate with some shortening, but after I dipped the first cookie, I noticed that I had a problem.

Where would I put the cookies until they dried? If I laid them back on the rack, the melted chocolate would drip through the rack and the backs would be messed up. I couldn't very wall stand there and hold the cookies, could I?

Parchment paper to the rescue! I laid a section out on the counter, and set each cookie on the paper as soon as I'd dipped it. They cooled perfectly, lifted off the paper with absolutely no difficulty, and looked professionally created.

I've laid in a supply of the miracle paper, just in time for my holiday baking season.

What kind of cookies will you be baking for your holiday season?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ismaellozada

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Thumbprint cookies, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, sugar cookies, etc..

Janny101
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Excellent, Cookies are my all time favorite but never dipped them in Chocolate. Gonna try this.

Rushn311
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Those look sooo good.  We do sugar cookies into  shapes, chocolate chip cookies and I'd like to do gingerbread.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM

This week I am doing choc. chip with choc. sprinkles. =)

natesmom1228
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I make about 10 different kinds of cookies. I will start the week after Thanksgiving. I use them mostly for gifts for my neighbors and I take a tray full to work for our Christmas party.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Not sure yet...

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I do need to make sure I have more parchment paper on hand!

I'm Celiac so must bake cookies if I'm going to have any to eat.  You can't just go to the store & buy gluten free Christmas cookies!  So I always make a big batch of each of my favorite cookies.

I'll be making peanut butter kisses & sugar cookie cutouts for sure.  A chocolate dipped cookie would be fun, too.

slw123
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I'm not sure what I'm baking this year.

I wanted to share a trick I learned from my mom for keeping cookies moist wheile they are being stored.  Place a slice of bread in each container.  Check it daily.  When the bread gets dry, replace it.  The bread keeps the cookies moist.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I make peanutbutter w hugs instead of kisses, chocolate chip, sprinkle pinwheels, oatmeal chocochip, and who knows what else
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I probably won't be making cookies. I'll help my mom make her sugar cookies but I'm making candy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement