Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Cookbook Crisis

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have taken on a project too big to handle. I offered to help my grandmother finish a family cookbook that she has been working on for years, and now that I'm in charge of finishing it, I'm a little overwhelmed. My original plan was to make a shutterfly book, but when I started receiving all of the recipes, there are over 200, which would make the shutterfly book WAY too expensive. I looked at bookemon.com but in order to keep the price affordable, they only allowed 100 pages. I'm searching and searching for a company that will just put it all together for me, but everywhere is SO expensive. We are trying to keep the prices affordable because some of the books will be going to elder members of our family who are living on fixed incomes and such. So $25 for a book might not seem much to me, but to them its a little pricey. If ANYONE has any suggestions for me, i'd gladly accept advice :) 

PS: I checked with kinkos also, but for them to print it, it's like .30/page, plus added charge for binding and custom cover.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My best friends grandma tried doing the same thing several years ago and ended up printing one book all the recipes no pics and then copied the pages at home as many times as she needed. The bought binders and plastic sheet holders and put them together that way. She was only making books for 10 but to do it the other ways would have put her back a pretty penny.

If you are set on printing them maybe you can find a coupon or get a discount for a large print job. Office depot also has a print center so maybe call and talk to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momx3.
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

My best friends grandma tried doing the same thing several years ago and ended up printing one book all the recipes no pics and then copied the pages at home as many times as she needed. The bought binders and plastic sheet holders and put them together that way. She was only making books for 10 but to do it the other ways would have put her back a pretty penny.

If you are set on printing them maybe you can find a coupon or get a discount for a large print job. Office depot also has a print center so maybe call and talk to them.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yeah I'm hoping to find a company that can just do all the work. We already have requests for over 50 books, so printing would be tedious and expensive :/ If it comes down to it, that will be my last resort. My grandma sent me some recipes in the mail and others in email and some are in caps and some aren't and there are a few typos and such, so going through 200 recipes and fixing them is so time consuming. Not to mention, the ones that she sent in the mail, I can scan them into my computer but don't have the software to convert a PDF to a Word doc so I can't correct the typos or change the case (uppercase to lower case, or sensitive case). And I've starting typing some of them back into my computer, but that takes forever too. The obvious question would be, why can't grandma send me the ones through email that she sent in the mail... Well, she didn't save them to the computer, just typed and printed.. 

LexRi0709
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been working on my own. I'm just printing recipes then putting them in sheet protectors and in a binder. There isn't going to be a cheap way to make the books since there is over 200 recipes. I like the binder because I have everything divided up.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funkycat
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Check into a plastic spiral bound printing from your independant photo copy center. They may not have the page limits and could want to out bid the chain companies.That might be a cheaper option.

othermom
by Danelle on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

My aunts dd this years ago. I don't know how much it costs though. I don't think there were  that many recipies though

lish2127
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
The moms group I'm in did a cookbook last year. I'll try to find out the details.
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you checked Staples if you have one near you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momx3.
by New Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Thank you ladies. I actually contacted a company by the name "Family and Friends", hoping they are still in business (the website is still up, but no email reply yet). They seem to do everything I'm looking to do. Very creative. Hopefully she replies :)

elasmimi
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I know it's a daunting job, but your family will really appreciate it.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Go to a small local print shop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN