Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Bugs in my flour?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 26 Replies
I found bugs in my white and whole wheat flour. The whole wheat was unopened. There were no bugs in the self rising flour or sugar I had stored in the same place. Where did they come from? Should i throw away the self rising flour and sugar just in case?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM

weivels maybe. We used to get them sometimes in stuff at my dads. I don't think you would have to throw out the sugar and other flour, but I might if it were me just because the chance of them being in it too would creep me out

ZakkarysMom
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Ok thanks!

Quoting othermom:

weivels maybe. We used to get them sometimes in stuff at my dads. I don't think you would have to throw out the sugar and other flour, but I might if it were me just because the chance of them being in it too would creep me out

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Probably weivels..pesty little suckers.

schatzi869
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this
There's almost always at least weevil eggs in flour. When you buy flour, put it in the freezer for 4-5 days. This kills any that may be in the flour. Keep the flour in a container with a lid. We put bay leaves in the cupboards too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Good tip

Quoting schatzi869:

There's almost always at least weevil eggs in flour. When you buy flour, put it in the freezer for 4-5 days. This kills any that may be in the flour. Keep the flour in a container with a lid. We put bay leaves in the cupboards too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Your sugar should be fine.  I would seal up your other flour in a ziplock bag and watch it for the next few days.  Now that you have weevils they could be in other stuff in your pantry too.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

It's weevils...and don't even think it's anything you did. The eggs get in anything made from grain, including pasta, in nthe warehouse where their stored before they come to your store. The best thing to do is when you bring it home from the store place the whole package inside a freezer (they can chew through regular storage bags) ziplock bag  or in a cannister with a tight fitting lid. Then if there are weevils in it, take it back to the store and they will refund your money, and they won't have a chance to travel to other items in your cupboard. Your sugar will be fine. Place your other grain items in containers and check in a few days. Bay leaves scattered around the cupbpard will help repel them if you should forget to package something. 

sanj1213
by Juanita on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Quoting schatzi869:

This is very helpful information.
sanj1213
by Juanita on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I used to have this problem and I don't think we did anything to stop it, it just kinda did on it's own.
Godspitgrl
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I have seen and heard of this before. Put it in an air tight container and freeze them the bugs will be scoopable on top to toss and it is still good. Then with new things freee it right away and the eggs will die. Its a normal accurance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement