The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

How do you store brown sugar?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 35 Replies
How do you store brown sugar? I looking for a new way to store my I hate using ziplock bags!
I would love any ideas I want to use canisters or something but i don't know which one would keep brown sugar soft.
Thank you
Victoria
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ferne3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Air tight glass canister and I put in a small terra cotta piece (mine looks like a teddy bear.)  You can find it in most kitchen sections (Target, WalMart, Williams Sonoma, etc.) but I had to ask an associate because they are usually hard to find.  The purpose is to draw moisture to the item and away from the brown sugar.  I lived in Manhattan and NJ during extreme summer humidity and now the NW which is rainy and never had a problem with hardening (which is due to the brown sugar absorbing moisture.)  I am sure some other smart ladies on this sight have some tricks where you wouldn't need to purchase anything.  The little bear was a few dollars and I have had it for years.

othermom
by Danelle on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I have it in a zip lock bag

othermom
by Danelle on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting ferne3:

Air tight glass canister and I put in a small terra cotta piece (mine looks like a teddy bear.)  You can find it in most kitchen sections (Target, WalMart, Williams Sonoma, etc.) but I had to ask an associate because they are usually hard to find.  The purpose is to draw moisture to the item and away from the brown sugar.  I lived in Manhattan and NJ during extreme summer humidity and now the NW which is rainy and never had a problem with hardening (which is due to the brown sugar absorbing moisture.)  I am sure some other smart ladies on this sight have some tricks where you wouldn't need to purchase anything.  The little bear was a few dollars and I have had it for years.

I would love to get some air tight containers for my brown sugar and stuff

RADmomma
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I store all my baking goods in canisters. Helps keep them fresh,

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Mine is in it's resealable bag...

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Ours is in the ziplock bag.

lish2127
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I just put a twist tie on the bag...Lol

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I have a set of Tupperware containers for my flour, sugar, and brown sugar.   I keep them in a dark, dry area of my kitchen to avoid clumping.   For the sugars, I also stir them regularly if I haven't opened them in a while.

MrsRi
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I use mason jars with cheese cloth just under the lid.  Works like a charm.  We live in MO so its kinda humid in the area and I've never had any issues with it clumping - except the one time I forgot to close the  jar.

mamamiajk
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I was going to tell you to use  zxiploc  bags. LOLI have tried using canisters etc. with no success. Sorry I am no help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)