Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Can you explain it?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

How can people be brilliant cooks but say they can't bake? I mean, if you are following a recipe or directions, why should it be any different?

Or do you think that it is more of an excuse to not bake? And what about casseroles, majority of those involve baking, does that nean you aren't good at casseroles? 

So many questions but this has baffled me for years! LOL

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hafsa1
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I've always wondered that too! I do think I'm better at baking but am still a good cook. Maybe because baking has to be more precise, and with cooking you can just throw things together and see what you come up with. Sure you can make adjustments with flavorings and things but many times if you add too much flour or not enough, or temp isn't completely right, etc then your creation is ruined or just not as good as it should be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I think there are more "secrets" involved in baking.  When it says to do this... it's assumed you do this too.  That kind of thing.

proudmommy690
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I cant cook or bake lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Yeah, I can see that. Hmm...

Quoting Hafsa1:

I've always wondered that too! I do think I'm better at baking but am still a good cook. Maybe because baking has to be more precise, and with cooking you can just throw things together and see what you come up with. Sure you can make adjustments with flavorings and things but many times if you add too much flour or not enough, or temp isn't completely right, etc then your creation is ruined or just not as good as it should be.

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Hmm...I guess I could see that. 

Quoting emilyrosenj:

I think there are more "secrets" involved in baking.  When it says to do this... it's assumed you do this too.  That kind of thing.

Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Well then, you're good! LOL

Quoting proudmommy690:

I cant cook or bake lol

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Well, there IS less flexibility in baking because often if you bake something you can't fix it once you pull it out of the oven. Whereas if I mess up a spaghetti sauce by putting in too much garlic or whatever, I can usually fix that.  

That's the only explanation I got for ya, I have no idea, haha! :)  

Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I do agree. I just wonder, if you are following a recipe word for word, does that make a difference? Maybe not as fun but, you know. haha

Quoting JohnnyCakes:

Well, there IS less flexibility in baking because often if you bake something you can't fix it once you pull it out of the oven. Whereas if I mess up a spaghetti sauce by putting in too much garlic or whatever, I can usually fix that.  

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM
I agree!

Quoting JohnnyCakes:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:55 AM
I'm a better cook than a baker.
I dont know why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN