Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Getting Ready for the Big Day!

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

For those that celebrate Christmas, the big day is almost here. One of the best parts about the holiday, for most people anyway, is the plethora of baked goods. Cookies, cookies, and more cookies make their appearances on tables, counter tops, and waistlines everywhere. Sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, white Russian tea cakes, the lists go on and on. Getting to enjoy those cookies is awesome, but first you have to make them. And unless you want your cookies to look as if they were made by your local toddler - not that there's anything wrong with your toddler making cookies - you're going to spend some time in the kitchen.

Actually, making the cookies is not always that difficult. It seems to me that the difficulty comes in decorating them. I always have grand ideas in my head, but they never really come to fruition at the end of my fingertips. Part of that is that I lack decorating skills, but if you don't have the skill, you could always take a class. Which is what I did. I took a class in cake decorating, and part of that class talked about decorating Christmas cookies.

The instructor said that in her opinion, the number one mistake that most people make is that they don't decorate all the way to the edge of the cookie. And that can be difficult to do if you're decorating on a plate, as many of us do. She had a great suggestion – lay your cookies on a cake tower that has been lined with parchment paper. The paper allows you to get all the way to the edge of the cookies, and when you're finished, you simply slide the paper from underneath the cookies.

Parchment paper is also a miracle tool for the decorating. I don't know about you, but any time I fill those polyurethane decorator bags with icing, the most difficult part of the entire matter is the clean up of both the bag and the tip. Instead of the bags, take a piece of parchment and roll it into a cone. Taper it on one end, and then tape it shut along the seam. Fill it with icing, and use it as a decorating bag. When you're finished, throw the entire thing away. The only difficulty you may have is making sure that the tip is narrow enough, but the beauty of using the parchment is that you can un tape it and reroll it as many times as you need.

With just a little bit of practice, you can make beautifully decorated Christmas cookies. The only trouble that you may have is deciding which ones to eat first!

What is your favorite type of Christmas cookie?

©iStockphoto.com/RuthBlack

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Great tips! I like butter or Danish cookies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Chocolate Oatmeal No-Bakes!!

Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Oh and Snickerdoodles. :)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

peanut butter with a hershey's kiss on it

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

OH these too!!!

Quoting Harris06:

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Oh yes, love snickerdoodles!!

Quoting Harris06:

Margaret

ethans_momma06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Those cookies look delish.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I like my mom's sugar cookies.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I like thumbprint cookies.

countrygirlkat
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I don't really decorate cookies, lol.  My favorite kind of cookie is the recipe my mom has which I called Mrs. Field's Cookies(I doubt it is the same as the company, lol).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN