Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Vegetarian

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 11 Replies

hi everyone. My MIL goes out of her way to not eat my cooking so she cant say whether im good or not since my husband talks about my cooking all the time and how i make everything i from scratch. on my daughters bday when she knew i was cooking meat she announced shes a vegetarian again. she just ate meat the week before!

shes very picky and doesnt really eat any way but im sure i would have to cook if she came over even thought i just moved it not to long ago. i was thinking a pasta dish with diced tomatoes, red onion, garlic, black olive, klamata olive, artichoke hearts, and pine nuts BUT my husband thinks i should make sides and a salad. christmas is coming up and i need to cook for my family and buy gifts and still save for the fence we want but he wants me to go all out for a woman who wont eat and or appreciate what i do.

what should i make on a budget for her? all of those things i have in the house which i was going to make for my own family but i choose to make it while shes here but it takes some time. whats fast and cheap for a woman i dont care at all about?

please any quick and cheap recipes would be great

thank you alll!!!!!!!!!

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I am not sure. I don't make anything vegetarian really. Maybe call her and ask her what she might like for you to make, otherwise I have no idea. Good luck

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

How about penne pasta with Pesto sauce, carrots, a salad of some sort and garlic bread-

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I like your idea of the pasta, that's what I do often for a vegetarian night.  You could also do a black bean soup, tomato basil parmesan soup or something like that.  They are both very filling.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Eggplant parmesan is time consuming but that could be another idea...

sanj1213
by Juanita on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Bean salad
AthenaGrace
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You could bread a piece of tofu and add some spices as a main dish for her and use pasta or veggies or something as a side. Health food stores also sell turkey-like roasts that are really made out of tofu, you could pop one in the oven for a little while and some even come with stuffing inside already!

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This is my favorite vegetarian recipe, and it's really simple to make.  Plus, you can get most or all of the ingredients at a dollar store or for a good price at the supermarket.

Also, you might want to search for other recipes on that site if that recipe is not suitable.  It's a great resource for affordable recipes, and there are plenty of vegetarian recipes on the site.

Harris06
by Megan on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM

This is what I was thinking. Tofurkey. I haven't had it but I heard that it is good. *shrugs*

Quoting AthenaGrace:

You could bread a piece of tofu and add some spices as a main dish for her and use pasta or veggies or something as a side. Health food stores also sell turkey-like roasts that are really made out of tofu, you could pop one in the oven for a little while and some even come with stuffing inside already!

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

ethans_momma06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Considering her attitude about it, I'd just make a few finger veggies w/ dip and call it a day.

AthenaGrace
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Definitely good. A lot of people try to tell you that the baste recipe on the box is gross, but I totally loved it. The gravy for it is a very nice complement too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN