• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made peanut brittle and it turned out weird- what did I do wrong?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

It was REALLY foamy when I poured it and when it hardened, it looked all cloudy and the outside layer has a weird 'spongy' texture.

I've used this recipe before and it never happened...

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
othermom
by Danelle on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Not sure. I have only made peanut brittle once and that was several years ago

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I have never made it so I am not sure.

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

could you  describe your peanut brittle? was it too bubbly, too  dull in color, too dark, or too brittle?

25 HAS been GOOD  to me!

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Quoting IhartU:

It was REALLY foamy when I poured it and when it hardened, it looked all cloudy and the outside layer has a weird 'spongy' texture.

Oh, sounds as if you didn't cook [boil] it long enough. Do you know the ice water test for hard candy? you drop a few drips of the boiled candy into ice water, it should form  into a tiny hard ball immediately.

IhartU
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

Quoting IhartU:

Oh, sounds as if you didn't cook [boil] it long enough. Do you know the ice water test for hard candy? you drop a few drips of the boiled candy into ice water, it should form  into a tiny hard ball immediately.

I actually used a candy thermometer and boiled it to hard crack. I had done the same thing before and it turned out fine but not this time.

I heard that trying to make brittle on a rainy and cloudy day can sometimes mess with it (it was both today) but I don't know if that science or just an old wives tale.

ethans_momma06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/weather-story.html

ethans_momma06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Anyway, sounds like the weather can play a factor.

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting 25beengoodtome:

Quoting IhartU:

I actually used a candy thermometer and boiled it to hard crack. I had done the same thing before and it turned out fine but not this time.

I heard that trying to make brittle on a rainy and cloudy day can sometimes mess with it (it was both today) but I don't know if that science or just an old wives tale.

Probably BOTH old wives's tale AND scientific fact, the humidity messed with your brittle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)