Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Emergency! Help! Please! 911? Anyone?!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 17 Replies

I need some help! I have a grandson that is allergic to wheat and dairy. I have never had to cook without these things and I am so completely and utterly lost. I tried to make bread the other day and it came out of the oven like a hot rock. I made cookies and they were little pebbles. I think if I throw those in the back yard I can have a rock garden started. Horrible! I have been doing some research on different gluten free flours. I have seen that some are for making bread and some are for making baked goods like pies and cookies, etc. I have no idea what happened to my bread and cookies the other day but they were horrible.

I am normally a good baker and cook (or so I am told by my family) I use a lot of dairy and wheat in my baking and cooking. Obviously I can't do that now. I almost feel like we are eating vegetarian, LOL. These things were a staple in our diet and now I have to change things. I definitely cannot cook differently for just this little guy. My family is too large (a total of 9 of us in the house, yes the kids are taking over) So I have to learn how to incorporate what he can have into our meals.

I need loads of advice, recipes, and help, help, help! Please anyone!

Terry Joconfused

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

There are some gluten free mixesthat you could try. The one I did needed butter though.  I don't have any family on a gluten free diet, but I have a friend who does and I would love to hear some ideas too since they will be visiting soon.

There is a cookie recipie that I think is gluten free(if you use gluten free peanut butter. It is 1 cup sugar, i cup peanut butter and 1 egg. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375.

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Also look at paleolithic or caveman recipes!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Dairy free is super easy! 90% of recipes work just fine using rice/soy/coconut milk. There are dairy free butter and cheese (pricey though). It is completely do-able!

I have no experience with gluten free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tueborvita
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ - that's a site that I like to use.

One of my roomies has Crohns and has had to go totally flour/grain free. I am compiling a cookbook for him of recipes that he can send his mom for when they do family dinners. Once I'm done I'll send you a digital copy if you'd like.

proudmommy690
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I have no idea but good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TjLittleThunder
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Really?! I am going to try that. I have bought the goat cheese cheddar, VERY expensive. Thank you :D

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Dairy free is super easy! 90% of recipes work just fine using rice/soy/coconut milk. There are dairy free butter and cheese (pricey though). It is completely do-able!

I have no experience with gluten free.

"Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." Hebrews 11:1 (NWTHS)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN