Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

need a good recipe

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 29 Replies

ok so my husband and i are probly moving soon and i need a good easy fast recipe thats good tastefull and wont have alot of carbs(my husband is on a low carb diet) but i need a few recipies.. for chicken and vegitable soups and other things.. i havnt had much cooking time and i could burn water lol but i really want to make a special dinner... please email me!!!!!!!!! thanks you soo much!!!

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynewlife2012
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Chicken with cream of mushroom soup baked in the oven 35 min at 350 cook some rice and a veggie and done it super good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peorth68
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

If it's just you and hubby then some of my 'recipes' may be too large for you.  As a rule I don't use recipes unless it's for baking (cookies, cakes, pies, breads).  Everything else is usually 'to taste', good way to find out who in the family has a good palatte. ;)  Most of my tasty recipes aren't fast either.  I found that low carbs were difficult to do fast.

Veggie Soup

1 can each Corn, Carrots, Peas, Green Beans    OR  2 cans of Veg-All (mixed veggies)  very well drained

1 quart Tomato Juice   OR  1 12 oz. can V-8 and 1 can diced tomatoes with juice

1 to 3 tbsp. Sugar  (up to a heaping 1/4 c. for a 4 qt pot) to cut the acid of the Tomato Juice and avoid an upset stomach.

1 head of cabbage, cleaned and cored. Cut into 1 inch or so chunks.

Pour Tomato Juice into pot, add sugar and mix to dissolve.  Turn on medium heat.  When juice starts to get hot but not boiling yet, add cut up cabbage and cover to allow cabbage to steam.  Stir occassionally so that all cabbage has contact with the Tomato Juice.  Cabbage can take up to 1 hour to cook so it takes a while.  When cabbage is still a bit crunchy when you poke it with a fork in a thick piece, add drained veggies.  Stir well, cover and bring to a boil.

** My family likes meat in their soup so I usually scramble up some ground beef with spices and add it when I add the veggies just before boiling.

Pot roast / Beef Stew in 3 steps

Get a nicely marbled Chuck Roast (beef).

Season roast with whatever seasoning you like (garlic, onion, Mrs. Dash, pepper and a little salt).  Don't season too heavily or it will burn when you sear it.

Sear all sides (edges too) of roast in a skillet with a little oil.

In a crockpot :  Pour in 1 can (small) of beef broth and about 1/2 can of water.  Add roast.  Set crockpot on low for overnight cooking OR high for 3-4 hours.  When roast starts to fall apart, break it apart with a fork.

Using 1 can of beef broth and 2 packages of Beef Gravy / Beef Stew Mix (powder), make a gravy / slurry.  Pour over roast in crockpot.

Add 1 can each (drained) carrots and potatoes (or any other veggies) to crockpot and allow to cook for another 30 mins.  Too long will allow the potatoes to turn to mush.  Stir gently a couple times so the gravy doesn't clump up.

**  You can leave out the potatoes and use just carrots and green beans if you want to serve it over rice.

***  You could probably do this with chicken as well, just reduce the cooking time for the first round in the crockpot to about 1 to 1 1/2 hours as chicken cooks faster than beef.  Use Chicken Gravy mix instead of Beef, of course.

Chicken Broccoli Soup

This is relatively quick and easy, not sure about Low Carb though.

1 can Cream of Mushroom or Golden Mushroom Soup

1 can of milk or water (whichever your soup calls for)

1 can of Chicken breast meat  (2 if you like lots of meat)

1 1/2 cup chopped Broccoli florettes  (if you use fresh you may need to steam it first. I use frozen, thaw them, chop them and let them drain so there's no extra water to thin the soup out).

**  You can use a Cheese base soup if you want.  You can also add some cooked rice as well.

Hope these are some that you can use, all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

raye-chan
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:59 AM
My crock pot is my best friend whenever I want to make soup/stews. Usually I just add both canned and fresh veggies, chicken broth (usually more for my soups), stew meat, seasonings and let it sit and simmer for about 8 hours.

I wish I could be more help but I tend to be a better baker x3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Using a crock pot might be helpful. I love to cook meat in it, although I have only done beef and pork so far

sanj1213
by Juanita on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Quoting othermom:

Using a crock pot might be helpful. I love to cook meat in it, although I have only done beef and pork so far

I agree, using a crockpot helps. You can start it the night before.
sanj1213
by Juanita on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I don't know of a good recipe off hand, but I can look for one for you.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM

place chicken pieces in a crock pot. Add a can of salsa. Cook on low about 8 hours. You can also do this in the oven on 350 until done.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Sprinkle boneless skinless chicken breast with Italian seasoning. Wrap in bacon and place on baking skeet. Bake 350 until done.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Marinade chicken pieces in Italian Salad dressing. Grill or bake.

eustacejessica
by Jess on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

google crock pot recipes. My crock pot is a life saver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN