Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

My bread isn't rising...

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I'm making bread with my 4 year old today. And it is doing nada.. I don't know if it's because she helped so much (i.e. unidentifiable stuff put into my bowl) or if I did something wrong. Either way.. I may throw it in the oven anyhow and hope it becomes something resembling food.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Did you proof the yeast first?

Try placing a LIGHTLY damp towel over the bowl then place the bowl in a preheated oven on the lowest temp and leave the door cracked open. Check it after 30-45 min and see if anything is happening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tueborvita
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Did you proof the yeast first?

Try placing a LIGHTLY damp towel over the bowl then place the bowl in a preheated oven on the lowest temp and leave the door cracked open. Check it after 30-45 min and see if anything is happening.

Thank you I'll try that. I did use activated yeast and stirred it into the sugar water as the directions called for.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM
It is also possible that you didn't knead the dough enough or the salt made contact with yeast too soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sanj1213
by Juanita on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Quoting CrazyLife1996:

It is also possible that you didn't knead the dough enough or the salt made contact with yeast too soon.

This is what came to my mind
mamalusbear
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM

did you put the right amount of yeast in it?  maybe it's too heavy

tueborvita
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that the yeast is old.

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM

save that dough! Fry it when  there's a few people sitting around relaxing & chatting. just serve it kinda hot with some butter and jelly on the side. Most people can't resist fresh, hot bread.

~YES YOU CAN! Be a SUPER MOM. . . BE A CAFE MOM! http:www.cafemom.com

gr8d8n3mom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM

if the water used with the sugar was too hot, it will kill the yeast, but too old yeast won't work either ;)  good luck

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I have never made homemade bread. Good Luck.

ReniaEats
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

How cold is it in your house? I do the rise in a warm (100 degree) oven when it's cold. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN