Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

i need some suggestions on cakes

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM
  • 23 Replies
My youngest will be 6 next month. I'm a good cook but not so much a baker so I usually buy birthday cakes. She wants me to make one. Now I know I could look up a recipe but I want one from someone who had tried one and liked it. She wants the cake to have a filling. Then icing or fondant ( I don't know how on that either ). She wants something on top I guess she means a garnish not sure. So I need a good recipe and tips on how to decorate. Please & thank you. I will be back later to check as I have only a few hours to sleep before work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Yikes i cant make cakes. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marshmallow-fondant/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=marshmellow%20fondant&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

^^ This is a recipe for Marshmellow fondant. I have never personally made it but I have heard from others that it is great.

othermom
by Danelle on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I use a box mix and use two round cake pans then frost in the middle of them

Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
This would be the easiest for you.
If you are not good at baking I would not suggest to try and make a cake from scratch. Let her choose the cake mix and frosting and I know so stores are now selling themed sugar designs you can decorate a cake with. She could also help.

Quoting othermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I have done this with a jelly mix in the middle for a "filling" and depending on what she wants it decorated at you can change it up. Would she like a heart? If so make two rounds, let them cool, freeze them, cut one in half put it to make the humps and frost to make it stay together. Does she want a Barbie cake? get a Barbie topper from Walmart or local cake shop, make to rounds, cool them, freeze them, stack them cut it to a cone, line the bottom layer top with frosting fill with your filling, put on top and ice the outside then stick in the Barbie. There are lots of options. 

Quoting othermom:

karone04
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

The Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cherry Vanilla Flavor tastes like really bad chapstick. My ds wanted that for his cake last month.

othermom
by Danelle on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I always get two things of frosting, one for the middle and then one for the outside. I also use some of the middle one to decorate the outside. Also maybe let her help you make it. My girls love to help bake their cakes.

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

This would be the easiest for you.
If you are not good at baking I would not suggest to try and make a cake from scratch. Let her choose the cake mix and frosting and I know so stores are now selling themed sugar designs you can decorate a cake with. She could also help.

Quoting othermom:

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I actually have not tasted any of those that I actually like. We have tried 4 at least and I hated all of them. The mint chocolate tasted like toothpaste.

Quoting karone04:

The Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cherry Vanilla Flavor tastes like really bad chapstick. My ds wanted that for his cake last month.

Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I use cream cheese frosting and add a couple drops of extract to flavor it.

Quoting karone04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I agree...this is ideal for a first attempt. During the year you can experiment for next year's birthday.

Quoting othermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN