Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

i need some suggestions on cakes

Posted by   + Show Post
My youngest will be 6 next month. I'm a good cook but not so much a baker so I usually buy birthday cakes. She wants me to make one. Now I know I could look up a recipe but I want one from someone who had tried one and liked it. She wants the cake to have a filling. Then icing or fondant ( I don't know how on that either ). She wants something on top I guess she means a garnish not sure. So I need a good recipe and tips on how to decorate. Please & thank you. I will be back later to check as I have only a few hours to sleep before work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
MonarchMom22
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

If you look at the recipes from Family Fun magazine you can't go wrong.  They are all designed to do with kids, not too complicated, and have adorable easy decorating ideas.

http://spoonful.com/recipes/dessert-recipes/cakes-cupcakes

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I make Jello Poke cakes alot for my kids.   They love them.  Easy to make.  

MonarchMom22
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

that's a great idea!  You can do it with a scratch cake or cake mix, they are colorful and dramatic.

elijahsmama09
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I have something perfect for you! Anyone can decorate a cake like this. 

http://www.brasstacksandbasics.com/2011/08/super-fancy-cake-decorating-tutorial.html?m=1

As far as a cake recipe? Use a cake mix, that says moist. You can not duplicate that kind of moisture in the kitchen as a mix. Its cheap and easy too. Homemade cake is notoriously dry. MY favorite is Duncan Hines. 

Filling, just use whatever jam you like. Or chocolate(white, milk or dark) made into a softer set with heavy cream. Or pb filling, is just pb mixed with confectioner(powder sugar). 

Make the frosting. Homemade frosting tastes 1000x better than that stuff in a tub. You can make white, chocolate, cream cheese, chocolate cream cheese, pb, or any fruit. Just google it. 

My favorite cake is a white cake, with a cream cheese and blackberry filling, and a homemade white chocolate frosting. It sounds super fancy, but is actually easy. Good luck!! 

Kmakksmom
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM

We use box mixes, round pans and frosting in and around the cake when it's done.  We've never done fondant or anything really fancy.

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

i've made this and it was easy.

Quoting charlene_kyle:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marshmallow-fondant/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=marshmellow%20fondant&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

^^ This is a recipe for Marshmellow fondant. I have never personally made it but I have heard from others that it is great.

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

oh wow. I must try this!!

And my cakes aren't dry that I make from scratch!! lol

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I have something perfect for you! Anyone can decorate a cake like this. 

http://www.brasstacksandbasics.com/2011/08/super-fancy-cake-decorating-tutorial.html?m=1

As far as a cake recipe? Use a cake mix, that says moist. You can not duplicate that kind of moisture in the kitchen as a mix. Its cheap and easy too. Homemade cake is notoriously dry. MY favorite is Duncan Hines. 

Filling, just use whatever jam you like. Or chocolate(white, milk or dark) made into a softer set with heavy cream. Or pb filling, is just pb mixed with confectioner(powder sugar). 

Make the frosting. Homemade frosting tastes 1000x better than that stuff in a tub. You can make white, chocolate, cream cheese, chocolate cream cheese, pb, or any fruit. Just google it. 

My favorite cake is a white cake, with a cream cheese and blackberry filling, and a homemade white chocolate frosting. It sounds super fancy, but is actually easy. Good luck!! 

slw123
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I always decorate the kids cakes with toys that are their theme. 

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Great idea.

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

I use cream cheese frosting and add a couple drops of extract to flavor it.

Quoting karone04:

The Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cherry Vanilla Flavor tastes like really bad chapstick. My ds wanted that for his cake last month.

elasmimi
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I can't make layer cakes look nice, so I always do a sheet cake. You can frost it and put decorations on top. I use cake mixes, but add my own touches.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement