Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What kind of cookware do you use?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What kind of cookware do you use?

Options:

stainless steel

non-stick

porcelain

cast iron

aluminum

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Why do you use what you use?

What do you think is the best?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Gwen (43) David (55) Augie (5.5) Alex (4)

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Quoting Bmat:

This is from foodnetwork.com (I do store mine with paper towels between them)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Wash new cast iron cookware with warm soapy water and promptly towel dry. Generously coat cookware with vegetable shortening. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

Remove skillet from oven and rub again to redistribute oil. Place in the oven and bake again for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Wipe excess oil off with paper towels, then allow to cool before storing. Store in a cool, dry place, with paper towels below and on top of skillet to protect shelves and skillet.

How do you know its seasoned?  Is doing this once all you need to do & its seasoned?

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

It will be seasoned, but it is a good idea to keep replacing the oil lightly, or not use soap on it so the oil isn't cleaned off. You'll know it isn't seasoned well enough if stuff sticks to it or if you see rust.  I missed a little place on the handle of mine and it got a little rust on it, so I cleaned that off and reseasoned.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Bmat:

Wash new cast iron cookware with warm soapy water and promptly towel dry. Generously coat cookware with vegetable shortening. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

Remove skillet from oven and rub again to redistribute oil. Place in the oven and bake again for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Wipe excess oil off with paper towels, then allow to cool before storing. Store in a cool, dry place, with paper towels below and on top of skillet to protect shelves and skillet.

How do you know its seasoned?  Is doing this once all you need to do & its seasoned?

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

Quoting Bmat:

It will be seasoned, but it is a good idea to keep replacing the oil lightly, or not use soap on it so the oil isn't cleaned off. You'll know it isn't seasoned well enough if stuff sticks to it or if you see rust.  I missed a little place on the handle of mine and it got a little rust on it, so I cleaned that off and reseasoned.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting Bmat:

Godspitgrl
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

a mixture of what ever I could get

schultzal
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:23 AM
I use stainless steel and cast iron. I don't use Teflon because it is, in my opinion, not durable enough, and I don't want to risk it flaking into our food.

I love my stainless steel because it has a thick base that heats evenly, is easy to clean, and is very durable.

Cast iron is a little more work to take care of, but it is amazingly versatile, browns things better than anything else, and can last hundreds of years if it is cared for properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I use stainless steel because it was my very first set I bought in 1974. The stainless cooks evenly, even if you burn something, clean up is  not a major problem.Soak with baking soda, then scrub with one of those scratchy nylon pads.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Stainless steel

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

When me and my dh first moved in together we bought a cheap set that was teflon. After a months it started to flake so we ended up  buying out stainless steel set.

Quoting schultzal:

I use stainless steel and cast iron. I don't use Teflon because it is, in my opinion, not durable enough, and I don't want to risk it flaking into our food.

I love my stainless steel because it has a thick base that heats evenly, is easy to clean, and is very durable.

Cast iron is a little more work to take care of, but it is amazingly versatile, browns things better than anything else, and can last hundreds of years if it is cared for properly.

Gina1109
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Do yours burn on the bottom? I just got a set for.Christmas and when I boiled some water the bottom of the pot got a burn spot... :(

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Paula Deen cookware

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I have the red and black speckled ones they get a little darker but I have some pot scrub stuff I use on the bottom so not noticiable if so.

Quoting Gina1109:

Do yours burn on the bottom? I just got a set for.Christmas and when I boiled some water the bottom of the pot got a burn spot... :(

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Paula Deen cookware

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement