Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What kind of cookware do you use?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What kind of cookware do you use?

Options:

stainless steel

non-stick

porcelain

cast iron

aluminum

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Why do you use what you use?

What do you think is the best?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Gwen (43) David (55) Augie (5.5) Alex (4)

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Stainless steel. I didn't want to deal with non-stick and got my set when there was the scare about aluminum.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I voted "other" because I use stainless steel and cast iron equally.  Cast iron is best, IMO.

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I voted "other" because I use stainless steel and cast iron equally.  Cast iron is best, IMO.

How do you season it?  How do you know when it is seasoned? Any tips for using it?

I got a cast iron frying pan for my birthday (I asked for it! DH gets me what I ask for) but don't really know much about them.   I just know to oil them.

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Bmat:

Stainless steel. I didn't want to deal with non-stick and got my set when there was the scare about aluminum.

Yeah, I'm trying to get away from non-stick.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Some come pre-seasoned. If they don't. I rub cooking oil all over it and stick it in a warm oven for a couple hours, then wipe off excess oil.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting michiganmom116:

How do you season it?  How do you know when it is seasoned? Any tips for using it?

I got a cast iron frying pan for my birthday (I asked for it! DH gets me what I ask for) but don't really know much about them.   I just know to oil them.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I don't put my cast iron in the dishwasher. and when I wash it, I often put a light coat of oil on it. My MIL didn't wash hers, which was well-seasoned and thus non-stick, she just used dry paper towels to wipe it clean. I don't feel comfortable not washing them, though.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I season it with lard.  Wipe it thick around the pan, then put it on a hot burner until the lard is melted and some may be soaked in to the pan.  I let it cool, then wipe the excess off before storing it.  When washing it, don't use soap -- it'll pull the oil out of the pan.  Just scrub it clean with a nylon scrubber and rinse, then put it on a hot burner to dry.

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Cool, that's what I've been doing.  I just have to teach DH to not soak it (this will take much repeating).

Quoting Bmat:

I don't put my cast iron in the dishwasher. and when I wash it, I often put a light coat of oil on it. My MIL didn't wash hers, which was well-seasoned and thus non-stick, she just used dry paper towels to wipe it clean. I don't feel comfortable not washing them, though.

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting michiganmom116:

GwenMB
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting GwenMB:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I season it with lard.  Wipe it thick around the pan, then put it on a hot burner until the lard is melted and some may be soaked in to the pan.  I let it cool, then wipe the excess off before storing it.  When washing it, don't use soap -- it'll pull the oil out of the pan.  Just scrub it clean with a nylon scrubber and rinse, then put it on a hot burner to dry.

I have lard! I could do that! :)

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

This is from foodnetwork.com (I do store mine with paper towels between them)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Wash new cast iron cookware with warm soapy water and promptly towel dry. Generously coat cookware with vegetable shortening. Bake in oven for 1 hour.

Remove skillet from oven and rub again to redistribute oil. Place in the oven and bake again for 1 hour. Remove from oven. Wipe excess oil off with paper towels, then allow to cool before storing. Store in a cool, dry place, with paper towels below and on top of skillet to protect shelves and skillet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement