The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

I am familiar with making kale (saute, sprinkle garlic powder and put a lid on). I just tried it with bok choy, chard and spinach--ugh. Any tips on how to cook those "softer" greens?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Replies (11-14):
othermom
by Danelle on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Wih fresh spinach we use it in salads or on sandwhiches

Dontchawishuknu
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Fresh baby spinach sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil with slivered almonds.  The almonds give off a rich, nutty flavor and a bit of oil...Very yummy.

Fresh baby spinach sauteed in a tiny bit of olive oil, and when wilted, sprinkled with a bit of sea salt and Parmesan cheese, and a drop or two of balsamic vinegar.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM

For spinach, wash it then set aside. Get a little oil really hot, add minced garlic. Add spinach and quickly toss. Add a little salt. Quickly remove as soon as it wilts. It only takes a couple of minutes and it's very good.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Kale Chips.

I had never made them before, but I'll be making them again. Here's the result:

This was very unusual, and interesting. Crispy crunchy.

Cut out center rib from kale, tear into pieces. Place in a ziplock plastic food storage bag with a little olive oil, and a tiny sprinkle of seasoned salt (careful-it gets concentrated. I got the first batch too salty). Rub between your hands to get oil and salt thoroughly mixed. Spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in a preheated 350 oven. Bake 5-10 minutes until just crisp. Watch carefully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)