Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

I need a killer recipe for the chili cook off here at work!  I need something that your family and friends raved over, couldn't stop talking about.  I'm going up against beef and other chili's so it's got to be REALLY good!!

Margaret

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Replies (11-15):
Godspitgrl
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Alrighty. Well I honestly for the most part by canned things seperate then spice it myself. There is a product called Seitan that is a wheat product meat substitute just so you are aware. 

I use a large can of diced tomatoes (this is for 4 people), a large can of tomato sauce, two cans of Bushes chili beans, a regular can of black beans, a regular can of pinto beans, and a can of chile peppers. Put them together in a pot and let them start to stew. If you are wanting it good and hearty I know someone that added diced portabellas to it (sounds good but my family isn't much on mushrooms)
I then ad in a bay leave, 1 tbls chili powder, 1 tbls cummin, 1 tsp salt, 1 salt pepper, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tbls oregeno, 1 tbls parsley. If you are wanting it spicy I would add in some cayanne pepper and a little more chili powder. 

In pan I put in a half a chopped onion (when DH isn't going to eat, lol), minced garlic (fresh is always better) , and 2 tbls butter (not margarine it does make a difference in taste). Let them brown and carmalize and then add ot the chili.

Also for a little more bite and heartiness to the onions and garlic add some bell peppers and let them soften  

Quoting emilyrosenj:

No, I eat vegan a lot but since this is for the masses I'd rather be vegetarian.  No soy products if possible.  Thanks!

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Thanks!   I'll have to look for Seitan... I've never heard of it...

Quoting Godspitgrl:

Alrighty. Well I honestly for the most part by canned things seperate then spice it myself. There is a product called Seitan that is a wheat product meat substitute just so you are aware. 

I use a large can of diced tomatoes (this is for 4 people), a large can of tomato sauce, two cans of Bushes chili beans, a regular can of black beans, a regular can of pinto beans, and a can of chile peppers. Put them together in a pot and let them start to stew. If you are wanting it good and hearty I know someone that added diced portabellas to it (sounds good but my family isn't much on mushrooms)
I then ad in a bay leave, 1 tbls chili powder, 1 tbls cummin, 1 tsp salt, 1 salt pepper, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tbls oregeno, 1 tbls parsley. If you are wanting it spicy I would add in some cayanne pepper and a little more chili powder. 

In pan I put in a half a chopped onion (when DH isn't going to eat, lol), minced garlic (fresh is always better) , and 2 tbls butter (not margarine it does make a difference in taste). Let them brown and carmalize and then add ot the chili.

Also for a little more bite and heartiness to the onions and garlic add some bell peppers and let them soften  

Quoting emilyrosenj:

No, I eat vegan a lot but since this is for the masses I'd rather be vegetarian.  No soy products if possible.  Thanks!

Margaret

ReniaEats
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I use this one from Emeril Legasse (and have won a chili cookoff) with the following changes:

Sub 1 pepper in adobo sauce for one of the serrano peppers

Sub 1 bag of Morningstar Burger Crumbles for the Mushrooms

Add 1-1.5 teaspoons of liquid smoke

Good luck !

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
looks great! thanks

Quoting ReniaEats:

I use this one from Emeril Legasse (and have won a chili cookoff) with the following changes:

Sub 1 pepper in adobo sauce for one of the serrano peppers

Sub 1 bag of Morningstar Burger Crumbles for the Mushrooms

Add 1-1.5 teaspoons of liquid smoke

Good luck !

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Well ladies, I did not win... but I still feel good because I got so many compliments!   They could not believe it was vegetarian.  I used the Emeril recipe but the only substitution I made was jalepenos for the serracho peppers because I could not find Serracho peppers anywhere! 

We have a lot of Middle East Indian folks here and many of them do not eat beef or pork.  They were happy for the vegetarian options and gave me rave reviews for flavor and content.  What surprised me was the non vegetarians also had rave reviews and didn't even know it was vegetarian!  So in the end it really was a winner!  Thanks for all of your help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement