The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

simple cake mix (from scratch) ??

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 71 Replies
2 moms liked this

I love to cook and I have a strong desire to bake but I'm not a baker at all other than making what's in the box. LOL! I would love if anyone knows how to make a simple cake mix that a beginner like myself can master.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I stick with box mixes. Making cake.from scratch can be hard and mine never turn out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I've only made from a box...I will see if I can find something for you.

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
6 moms liked this

Simple White Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cupwhite sugar

sommerrae
    by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I think this will be easy! Thank you!! :)

Quoting Flaca43:

Simple White Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cupwhite sugar

Flaca43
    by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I think it will be! Sounds good too!

Quoting sommerrae:

I think this will be easy! Thank you!! :)

Quoting Flaca43:

Simple White Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cupwhite sugar

Harris06
    by Megan on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I'm pretty sure that this is the recipe that I have used before and if so it was really yummy!! :)

Quoting Flaca43:

Simple White Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cupwhite sugar

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

DACIA79
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    The hummingbird cake is very easy to make. You can also find a simple carrot cake recipe to master.
    Godspitgrl
    by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    1 mom liked this

Rich Chocolate Layer Cake

Ingredients

• 1 box(es) Devil's Food Cake Mix, Such As Betty Crocker
    • 1/4 cup(s) Unsweetened Cocoa
    • 1 cup(s) Mayonnaise, such as Hellmann's or Best Foods
    • 3 large Eggs
    • 1 cup(s) Water
    • 2 container(s) (16 ounces each) Chocolate Frosting
    • 1/4 cup(s) Sour Cream
    • 2 teaspoon(s) Vanilla Extract
    • 1/2 cup(s) Chopped Almonds, toasted
    • 1 cup(s) Sweetened Flaked Coconut, toasted

Directions

1. Make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two 8-inch cake pans with softened butter. Cut two 8-inch circles out of parchment paper and fit them into the bottom of the cake pans. Lightly coat the paper circles with butter. Lightly flour both pans, shake out excess flour and set aside. Beat the cake mix, cocoa, mayonnaise, eggs, and water in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on low speed. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean -- about 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and return to the wire racks until completely cool.
    2. Make the filling: Whisk the frosting, sour cream, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of frosting to a medium bowl and stir in the almonds and the toasted coconut. Set aside.
    3. Assemble the cake: Split both layers and brush away any excess crumbs. Place one split layer on a cake plate. Tuck strips of wax paper under the edges of the cake to protect the plate. Spread 1/3 of the filling over the layer. Top with the next layer and spread another 1/3 of the filling over the top. Repeat with the third cake layer and remaining filling and top with the final cake layer. Spread the frosting over the top of cake smoothing out to the edges. Spread the remaining frosting around the sides and serve or store covered for up to 4 days.

Tips & Techniques

From the pantry: cake mix, mayonnaise, frosting.

Godspitgrl
    by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Frozen Raspberry Layer Cake

Ingredients

• 2 (10 3/4-ounce) Frozen Pound Cakes, crusts removed, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
    • 3 cup(s) Vanilla Ice Cream, slightly softened
    • 4 cup(s) Raspberry Sorbet, slightly softened
    • 1 pint(s) Fresh Raspberries, rinsed and picked over
    • 3 tablespoon(s) Chambord, or other raspberry-flavored liqueur

Directions

1. Prepare the pan: Trace and cut out a 9-inch circle from parchment paper and fit it into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Cut out a 3- by 27-inch strip of parchment and fit around the inside of the pan. Tape to secure parchment paper and set aside.
    2. Assemble the cake: Cover the bottom of the pan with a single layer of pound cake slices and spread the ice cream evenly over the cake. Freeze until ice cream hardens -- about 25 minutes. Spread 2 cups sorbet over the ice cream followed by another layer of pound cake slices. Return cake to the freezer for 10 minutes. Combine the raspberries and the Chambord together in a small bowl. Remove the cake pan from freezer and place the berries evenly over the cake. Top with a final layer of pound cake and the remaining sorbet. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until firm -- at least 4 hours.

Godspitgrl
    by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    2 moms liked this

Cinnamon Whipped Cream

Ingredients

• 2 cup(s) Heavy Cream, cold
    • 3/4 cup(s) Confectioners' Sugar
    • 1 teaspoon(s) Ground Cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon(s) Vanilla Extract

Directions

1. In a large bowl, using a mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)