Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

simple cake mix (from scratch) ??

Posted by   + Show Post

I love to cook and I have a strong desire to bake but I'm not a baker at all other than making what's in the box. LOL! I would love if anyone knows how to make a simple cake mix that a beginner like myself can master.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

BLUEBERRY CAKE

1/3 c plus 1/2 c of sugar                                                                                                                        

1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
10 oz blueberries (2 cups)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a small pan;stir together 1/3 cup of sugar with water,lemon juice and cornstarch.Then mix in the blueberries,now put this on ur stove on low while you make the batter.Mix the dry ingreds in a bowl; flour, baking powder ,salt and remaining 1/2 c of sugar.In a separate bowl mix the wet ingreds; egg, milk, butter and vanilla.Now dump your dry ingreds into your wet and mix.The batter may be lumpy so don't panic. Ok back to the blueberries,turn the heat up and let simmer for about 3 mins,(simmer like a soft boil,I put it in med heat and let it go).While ur waiting butter a 9x9 pan,then pour ur batter into ur pan.When ur blueberries are done spoon them over ur batter sauce and all.Bake for 20 to 30 mins till tooth pick comes out clean.This is really good served warm with ice cream or some good ole whipped cream.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

CHOCOLATE CHIP SOUR CREAM CAKE

1 stick butter, at room temperature
 1½ cups sugar
 3 eggs, separated
 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
 16 ounces sour cream
 3 cups all-purpose flour
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1½ teaspoons baking soda
 12 ounces chocolate chips
 ½ cup sugar
 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 1½ cups sugar, then mix in the egg yolks and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder together into a separate bowl. Alternately add sour cream and then dry ingredients into butter mixture. Beat eggs whites until stiff, then fold into batter. Mix last ½ cup sugar and cinnamon together in a separate, small dish.
In a greased 9″x13″ pan, pour in half of the cake batter. Sprinkle the top with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and half of the chocolate chips. Pour remaining batter on top, sprinkling the top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM

This recipe is an old one from Southern Living

Peanut Butter Fudge Cake
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
Combine flour, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl, set aside. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan, sit in cocoa. Add water, buttermilk and eggs, stirring well. Cook over medium heat. Stir constantly till mixture boils. Remove from head. Add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Stir in Vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9x2" pan. Bake at 350. for 20-25 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on rack, then carefully spread peanut butter over warm cake. Cool completely. Spread frosting over peanut butter.

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 (16 oz.) package powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Place powdered sugar in mixing bowl, set aside. Bring butter, cocoa and buttermilk to a boil in saucepan . Pour over powdered sugar in bowl. Stir till smooth. Stir in vanilla.

sommerrae
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Wow!! I really came to the right place! Thank you soo much ladies!

sommerrae
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
So I tried this one. I was scared because it called for using mayo. But to my surprise, it turned out wonderful!!! Thank you!

Quoting Godspitgrl:

Rich Chocolate Layer Cake

Ingredients

• 1 box(es) Devil's Food Cake Mix, Such As Betty Crocker
  • 1/4 cup(s) Unsweetened Cocoa
  • 1 cup(s) Mayonnaise, such as Hellmann's or Best Foods
  • 3 large Eggs
  • 1 cup(s) Water
  • 2 container(s) (16 ounces each) Chocolate Frosting
  • 1/4 cup(s) Sour Cream
  • 2 teaspoon(s) Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 cup(s) Chopped Almonds, toasted
  • 1 cup(s) Sweetened Flaked Coconut, toasted

Directions

1. Make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two 8-inch cake pans with softened butter. Cut two 8-inch circles out of parchment paper and fit them into the bottom of the cake pans. Lightly coat the paper circles with butter. Lightly flour both pans, shake out excess flour and set aside. Beat the cake mix, cocoa, mayonnaise, eggs, and water in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on low speed. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean -- about 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and return to the wire racks until completely cool.
  2. Make the filling: Whisk the frosting, sour cream, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of frosting to a medium bowl and stir in the almonds and the toasted coconut. Set aside.
  3. Assemble the cake: Split both layers and brush away any excess crumbs. Place one split layer on a cake plate. Tuck strips of wax paper under the edges of the cake to protect the plate. Spread 1/3 of the filling over the layer. Top with the next layer and spread another 1/3 of the filling over the top. Repeat with the third cake layer and remaining filling and top with the final cake layer. Spread the frosting over the top of cake smoothing out to the edges. Spread the remaining frosting around the sides and serve or store covered for up to 4 days.

Tips & Techniques

From the pantry: cake mix, mayonnaise, frosting.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ToYnyc
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

mayonaise makes your cake moist, so does applesauce =)

Quoting sommerrae:

So I tried this one. I was scared because it called for using mayo. But to my surprise, it turned out wonderful!!! Thank you!

Quoting Godspitgrl:

Rich Chocolate Layer Cake

Ingredients

• 1 box(es) Devil's Food Cake Mix, Such As Betty Crocker
  • 1/4 cup(s) Unsweetened Cocoa
  • 1 cup(s) Mayonnaise, such as Hellmann's or Best Foods
  • 3 large Eggs
  • 1 cup(s) Water
  • 2 container(s) (16 ounces each) Chocolate Frosting
  • 1/4 cup(s) Sour Cream
  • 2 teaspoon(s) Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 cup(s) Chopped Almonds, toasted
  • 1 cup(s) Sweetened Flaked Coconut, toasted

Directions

1. Make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two 8-inch cake pans with softened butter. Cut two 8-inch circles out of parchment paper and fit them into the bottom of the cake pans. Lightly coat the paper circles with butter. Lightly flour both pans, shake out excess flour and set aside. Beat the cake mix, cocoa, mayonnaise, eggs, and water in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on low speed. Increase speed to high and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean -- about 35 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and return to the wire racks until completely cool.
  2. Make the filling: Whisk the frosting, sour cream, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of frosting to a medium bowl and stir in the almonds and the toasted coconut. Set aside.
  3. Assemble the cake: Split both layers and brush away any excess crumbs. Place one split layer on a cake plate. Tuck strips of wax paper under the edges of the cake to protect the plate. Spread 1/3 of the filling over the layer. Top with the next layer and spread another 1/3 of the filling over the top. Repeat with the third cake layer and remaining filling and top with the final cake layer. Spread the frosting over the top of cake smoothing out to the edges. Spread the remaining frosting around the sides and serve or store covered for up to 4 days.

Tips & Techniques

From the pantry: cake mix, mayonnaise, frosting.

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Cakes from scratch are easy! Start with a simple white or yellow cake and go from there. :)

blessed_mommy11
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweeeetxtc
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I have disovered wilton.com have some simple enpugh recipes that i'm willing to try. They also have some helpful tips on baking and icing cakes.

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Yellow Cake

3/4 cup butter or maragrine, softened
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
3 eggs
3 tsp. baking powder
IF FLOUR IS SELF-RISING TAKE OUT BAKING POWDER
Beat butter and sugar together in a bowl until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time beating well after each addition, scraping the sides constantly. Add buttermilk, and beat well. Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add to butter mixture slowly mixing well. Pour into 1 well greased and floured 9x13 inch pan or three 8-inch or two 9-inch pans. Bake at 350° for the times listed below.

9x13-inch 40-45 minutes
8-inch pan 23-28 minutes
9-inch pan 30-35 minutes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement