Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

simple cake mix (from scratch) ??

Posted by   + Show Post

I love to cook and I have a strong desire to bake but I'm not a baker at all other than making what's in the box. LOL! I would love if anyone knows how to make a simple cake mix that a beginner like myself can master.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. shortening
1/4 c. cocoa
1 c. boiling water
2 eggs
1/2 c. sour milk
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Dash of salt

Put in large mixing bowl the sugar, shortening and cocoa. Pour water over and let sit for 2 minutes. Mix with mixer. Add eggs. Mix again. Mix milk (or cream but not dairy sour cream) to soda. Add to rest. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Chocolate Cake
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. shortening
1/4 c. cocoa
1 c. boiling water
2 eggs
1/2 c. sour milk
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Dash of salt

Put in large mixing bowl the sugar, shortening and cocoa. Pour water over and let sit for 2 minutes. Mix with mixer. Add eggs. Mix again. Mix milk (or cream but not dairy sour cream) to soda. Add to rest. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Make 3 holes or in the dry mixture which is in the pan.

Into the first hole, pour the oil or melted butter.

Into the second hole, pour the vanilla extract or rum.

Into the third hole, pour the vinegar.

Drizzle the cup of cold water over the entire cake. Stir the mixture together using a fork until combined evenly.

Bake cake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes.

Run a knife along edges to loosen cake from pan after cooled, or cut into squares and serve directly from pan. Frost with whipped cream or chocolate frosting, if desired, or serve as is.

For a richer cake, beat one egg with enough water to measure 1 cup (and substitute for 1 cup water).

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Barb's)

1/2 cup butter or margarine
10 oz. sour cream
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt (omit if using margarine)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Topping for coffe cake

1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon

1.) Preheat overn to 350 dehree fahrinheat. Grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
2.) cream sugar and butter until smooth. Add egg one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and beat well.
3.) Add vanilla, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend well and beat.
4.) Put 1/2 of the batter in a well greased tube pan. Stir in 1/2 of the topping in circular motion to achieve marbled affect. Add remaining dough and the rest of topping stired in as before. Springkle chopped nuts on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes.

Preparatio time 20 minutess
Cooking time 50 to 60 minutes
Serves 8 to 10

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Carrot Cake

INGREDIENTS

3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup raisins
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x12 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins.
Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour. Check with toothpick.
Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.

If you don't like carrot cake, then here is another recipie you are sure to like. This one is a simple bunt cake that hopefully you will like.

INGREDIENTS

1 box of any type of cake mix

DIRECTIONS

Follow the directions on the box only use a bunt cake pan
then when it is done melt the frosting on low for at least 5-10 seconds. Then take it out and you should be able to pour the frosting onto the bunt cake and then your done!

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

A really good cake recipe is the chocolate cake one on the back of Hershey's cocoa and there is also a recipe for frosting and its amazing I highly suggest it

dolly377
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I love baking as well. i usually go online for basic recipes.  i can find and send you one if you will accept me as your friend.      

othermom
by Danelle on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting copperswifey:

A really good cake recipe is the chocolate cake one on the back of Hershey's cocoa and there is also a recipe for frosting and its amazing I highly suggest it

Will have to try it
kellynh
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

This is a good one for you

Quoting sommerrae:

I think this will be easy! Thank you!! :)

Quoting Flaca43:

Simple White Cake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cupwhite sugar

Group Mod

countrygirlkat
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM

The one I make from scratch is a vegan one because my son can't have dairy or eggs.  It is yummy though.

Preheat Oven: 350

Bake time:  20-22 mins cupcakes, 25-30 mins cake

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup sugar

4 tablespoons applesauce

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup dairy free butter

1 cup soy milk

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

4 tablespooons cocoa powder

Combing four with salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.  Combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.  Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.  Cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.  Add applesauce and continue to mix.  Alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture while continually mixing batter.  Add cocoa powder last.  Once it is all combined continue to mix until the batter is mousse consistancy and firm. 

Spray or grease your cake pan or line your cupcake pan and add batter.  Bake times listed above. 

Madelaine
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    Thanks
    Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
    close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN